Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re: Avonview Cemetry St George Bristol

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 21 Sep 2011 15:54

I wonder if anybody can help, I have an ancester Samuel Betty buried in a family grave in Avonview and would like to know how large this place is. I have been on the web site to see if I can get any details but to trace a grave they want £27!!!! Samuel died in 1922.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Sep 2011 17:06

If you go onto Google maps and put in ....Avonview Cemetery Bristol...... you can use streetview and see the cemetery from the road. It looks pretty big to me.

The staff at cemeteries in the north of England where I live seem much more obliging and I have never had to pay anything for a cemetery map with the position of graves marked on it.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Sep 2011 22:38

I have just had a look at it on Google Maps and done a quick count of gravestones - somewhere between 2 and 3,000, although there are a lot of gaps, probably where they have failed the "topple test"!!

The most I have been asked for is £10 for a search.

Joan

Joan Report 22 Sep 2011 11:23

I know, in Manchester they have a web site that will tell you which cemetery and then for I think its £7 50? they will give you the position of 3 graves. We are only stopping off in Bristol on the way down to Cornwall so 3,000 could take some time!!!!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Sep 2011 13:31

I have quite a few ancestors in Avonview and last time I enquired a few years ago it was 27.00

Daylight robbery.

I have had dealings with 2 cemeteries in the Reigate/Redhill (Surrey) area and they sent me a list of all the burial/cremations they had on the surnames I was interested in for free.

A lot of the older cemeteries around the country now charge for this service, and while people continue to pay up, they will never consider putting their records online. I would happily pay say £5.00 for a few hours to trawl a cemeteries records online. But obviously that is not enough for some :-(

jansmith

jansmith Report 22 Sep 2011 14:26

wonder if burials would be in rows in years?
i have found this for someone same year
Phillip Sowerby died in 38 Staple Hill Road, Stapleton, BRISTOL on 10 Aug 1922, he was 96. Buried in Avon View Cemetry Bristol, Plot 114 Blue H.

Joan

Joan Report 29 Sep 2011 23:21

thanks to a very kind lady I now have photos of Samuel Bettys grave. Thanks for all the comments. Joan
:-D :-D

Joan

thanks to a very kind lady I now have photos of Samuel Bettys grave. Thanks for all the comments. Joan

Joan

Joan