Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

amy

amy Report 21 Sep 2011 19:36

hello.
Does anyone know how i would go about finding adoption records as i beleive one of my ancesters may have been adopted Dorothy Esther Rumbold born 1897 kings somborne. On her birth cert it states her mother as Fanny Rumbold domestic servant. Father unknown but on both of her marriage doc it states father as William rumbold deceased as a building contractor. We was always told that the didnt know the father as he was at sea!!! Ive found a dorothy esther on 1901 census living with adopted parents last name Mott!!
If anyone can point me in the right direction this would be helpful.
Thanks

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Sep 2011 19:40

Adoption I believe only became legal in 1927
It was informal adoption before then

Sure I will be corrected

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Sep 2011 19:41

1911 just for info
PATRICKSON, Thomas Henry Head Married
6 years M 41 1870 Pensioned Royal Navy Now Picture Frame Maker 1 and 2 St Pancras London VIEW
PATRICKSON, Mary Elizabeth Wife Married
6 years F 38 1873 3 Kings Somborne Hants VIEW
PATRICKSON, Frances Gertrude Daughter T H P F 5 1906 4 Stamshaw Portsmouth VIEW
PATRICKSON, Mary Gladys Daughter F 2 1909 5 Stamshaw Portsmouth VIEW
PATRICKSON, Phyliss Margaret Kathleen Daughter F 0 (8 MONTHS) 1911 6 Longstock Hants VIEW
RUMBOLD, Dorothy Hester Ellen Cousin F 13 1898 7 Kings Somborne Hants VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
367 Reference:
RG14PN367 RG78PN11 RD3 SD5 ED30 SN333

Registration District:
Fulham Sub District:
South Fulham Enumeration District:
30 Parish:
Fulham

Address:
33a Edenvale St Fulham S W

Originally shown as niece but altered to cousin

??
Marriages Dec 1904 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adams Charles Rochford 4a 1074
Cogger Lydia Eliza Rochford 4a 1074
Hewlett Mary Elizabeth Rochford 4a 1074
Patrickson Thomas H P Rochford 4a 1074

amy

amy Report 21 Sep 2011 20:31

thankyou very much. thats strange that she was entered as niece then cousin! i know she went into servatued quite young so wonder if indeed sehe was inservice then or was actually livivng with relatives.