Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where would he be buried?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 23 Sep 2011 16:24

My G grandfather John Bailey died at the County Asylum Whittingham in Lancashire in 1907.

He had only been there for about four months at the time of his death.

Does anyone have any idea if he would have been burried by his family or in the cemetary at the hospital? His wife was living in Belmont Ave Blackpool.

I'll try and check in over the weekend I don't have access to the internet at home, but will do my best.

Thanks to all for your help.
Gypsyjoe

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 23 Sep 2011 16:42

Burial: 23 Jan 1907 St Mary the Virgin, Goosnargh, Lancashire, England
John Bailey -
Abode: The County Asylum, Lancaster
Buried by: J. T. Kerby
Register: Burials 1867 - 1926, Page 266, Entry 2127
Source: LDS Film 1470931

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Sep 2011 10:17

I was excited for a moment there lancashire Ann but it can't be the same John Bailey because mine died in June, then again transcription maybe?

Where did you find this please?

I'm planning a trip to Blackpool how far is this place from it?

Thanks a billion
Gypsyjoe :-D

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 24 Sep 2011 13:14

found it on lan-opc.org.uk

It seems a large coincidence if that is not your John

Goosnargh is the other side of Preston - as the crow flies Genuki says 16 miles

It is a small village just round the corner (almost literally) from where Whittingham Hospital used to be. Turn right going off the M6 at M55 junction. Turn right at traffic lights on the A6 and follow the road (towards Longridge).

google genuki Goosnargh for a map

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Sep 2011 14:32

Thanks again Ann,

I'll be on foot and bus but I'm sure I'll manage. It does seem like it would be the same one, so I'll check it out further when I'm up there. Thanks again.

Gypsyjoe :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Sep 2011 20:41

The entry (2127) LanAnn posted does fall between the following 2 entries (irrelevant details omitted):

Burial: 2 Oct 1906 St Mary the Virgin, Goosnargh, Lancashire, England
Register: Burials 1867 - 1926, Page 266, Entry 2126

Burial: 22 Jun 1907 St Mary the Virgin, Goosnargh, Lancashire, England
Register: Burials 1867 - 1926, Page 266, Entry 2128

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Since the records for Lower Ince Cemetery are online at:
http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/stuff/cemetery.php?opt=cemetery
I've been able to see that there are quite a few records of people who died in non-local hospitals being buried here with a local address given in the "notes". So I would guess it would not be unusual practice (for this general area) for your guy to be buried in a Blackpool cemetery.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 24 Sep 2011 23:31

might be worth an email to Lancs record office (closed to the public until 24 Oct). They are answering email queries and could tell you if there is a transcription error if you give them both the Jan date and the date you have. They hold the original burial registers

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 26 Sep 2011 10:38

Thanks mgne and lancashireAnn,

I was going to check their site again to see when they open so that is handy I know when to plan my trip now.

Since I plan on visiting them I can check all this when I get there.

Thanks again.
Gypsyjoe.