Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1930 London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 25 Sep 2011 11:42

Hi all i have an adress in
London for my ancester, it is
6,P Block ,Green hill, Woolich
does any one know what this could have been?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2011 11:52

Greenhill Woolwich is near Woolwich Common and there were/are the Army Barracks nearby which have army married quarters too.Was your ancestor in the Army ?

Steve

Steve Report 25 Sep 2011 11:57

The info i have is from the marriage cert and her husband was at Kensington Barracks , it's just she has a Germanic sounding name ( Gertrud Launert , father's name Otto )

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2011 12:09

There were a lot of German people living in that area of SE London . i come from Charlton which is next to Woolwich and have a German grandfather who married a local girl . looking at the census around 1891/01/11 there were many German families in the area

Steve

Steve Report 25 Sep 2011 12:17

My Ancestor was in the army , they married in 1930 but i can not find any birth records for children . This is either because there were none or do you think it is possible that the mother may have changed her maiden name to avoid any stigma ? Do you think Otto Launert is German or Jewish ( he was a tailor ? )

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2011 12:18

Maybe as an immigrant she was housed in blocks set aside for immigrants. After WW1 Germans may have been subject to restrictions if they arrived in the UK.
As you are probably aware only her marrige shows on the records.

I have never been able to find when my German grandfather and his parents arrived in the UK which was before 1889 . Was told at Kew that passenger ships records havent been kept as they came across the Channel as foot passengers

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2011 12:20

would have thought marrying in her correct name in the 1930,s then she wouldn't have changed any record for childrens birth certs. There would be no need to at that time

Steve

Steve Report 25 Sep 2011 12:26

Yes i think you are right, my ancestor was born in Liverpool ,married in London and died in Tachbrook street Westminster but the side of the street he lived in has been demolished, do you think Westminster library may have the electrol roles that would tell me all the inhabitants of the house ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2011 12:36

They may well do but I dont think there were electoral rolls for 1940 due to WW2.
re women suffragettes
The outbreak of the First World War led to a halting of almost all campaigning, but some argue that it was the competence of women war workers that led to the extension of the franchise to women over the age of 30 in 1918; providing they were householders, married to a householder or if they held a university degree. Universal suffrage for all adults over 21 years of age was not achieved until 1928

Steve

Steve Report 25 Sep 2011 12:43

Thank you for your help, i am most greatfull.