Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger Lists 1940

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Sep 2011 13:22

Hi I don't know if anyone out there knows if passenger lists were printed during the second world war. I have recently found a photo of my late mum on board the P & O ship Strathnaver entering Valetta harbour, Malta in March 1940. Outward bound from UK to the Middle East. I have tried to find passenger list info - but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Sep 2011 13:45

Hi allotment. Her name was Patricia Joan Topping and she was born in 1917. Thanks.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 25 Sep 2011 14:03

Was she on board in a military capacity? as it seem the ship was on war duty in March 1940, if so i doubt if there would be passenger lists

War Service (1940 – 1948):

On the 7th January 1940 with the outbreak of the Second World War, the Strathnaver was requisitioned by the Government for service as a troopship. She then sailed from Sydney with the first big “Down Under” convoy from Australia and New Zealand to Middle East. She sailed in consort with four large Orient Line ships and was engaged in the massive movement of troops and equipment from Australia and New Zealand to the Red Sea.

George

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2011 14:07

Had your mum previously lived in Aden?

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 - about Patricia Topping
Name: Patricia Topping
Birth Date: abt 1917
Port of Departure: Bombay, India
Arrival Date: 9 Jul 1920
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ship Name: Cap Polonio
Shipping Line: Ministry of Shipping
Official Number: 143188

Last residence was Aden. Travelling with a Marian Topping age 29 (presumably her mother?)

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Sep 2011 14:15

Hi allotment and George,
My mother was a Queen Alexandra Army teacher, not sure of her original destination (may have been Singapore) but ended up teaching in the Abbassia Garrison school, Cairo after she met my dad in Cairo. Thanks to you both for replying, after finding the photo recently I thought I'd try to find out a bit more about her time abroad. Once again thanks

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Sep 2011 14:21

Hi MarieCeleste, yes that was my mum in Aden. Sadly her father died of malaria in Aden while his regiment was on it's way to India and my mother and grandmother had to return to the UK. He survived the first world war with hardly a scratch and winning the DCM then died after catching malaria!!! Thanks for your input.

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Sep 2011 14:33

Hi allotment, yes please. That is my mum. She actually married in Jerusalem in 1940 but when it was time to organise returning to the UK the paperwork had been lost so my parents had to "re marry" in Jordan.
Thanks

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 25 Sep 2011 14:45

Thanks allotment.