Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth registered twice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 25 Sep 2011 16:17

One of my cousin's is registered twice at the Register Office. His name, with unusual middle name and same Mother's maiden name was registered Jun quarter 1968 and again in Mar quar. 1973. Of course I checked that number one had not died and can't find anything. His parents were not married in 1968 but did marry in Dec quar. of 1972 so was the child re-registered? I've not come accross this kind of thing before - can anyone help with this puzzle?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Sep 2011 16:30

Yes, if the parents were not married at the time the birth was originally registered and they went on to marry later they can re-register the child and so legitimise the child.

It happens quite a lot.

The child is possibly in the index in 1968 under both the mother's surname at the time and also the father's if he went to the register office with her and admitted paternity.

Kath. x

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 25 Sep 2011 18:32

Janet
some of my children have more than one birth entry
its like Kathleen side perants was probly not marred ar time of birth

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 25 Sep 2011 20:27

Yes I can confirm this happened to me & my siblings we were registered some 9 years later 1960. It was only after the freedon of information act that we were allowed to have the original copies. Prior to that any application using the orignial ref we were sent the later record :-D

Janet

Janet Report 26 Sep 2011 16:38

Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought may have happened. I was just surprised as I thought only one entry was allowed in the register and the second registration would have ruled out the first one so that anyone searching would only find the latest entry.