Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

formerly on birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maddie

Maddie Report 26 Sep 2011 11:02

Hope someone can help
if on a childs birth certificate the mothers name is down as Hutchinson formerly harvey does that mean harvey is her maiden name
thank you
Maddie

Kuros

Kuros Report 26 Sep 2011 11:19

Yes, Harvey was her maiden name. In the case of the bride's mother having remarried before the child's birth it would appear as Jones, formerly Hutchinson, nee Harvey.
Obviously, I'm using Jones here just as an example. In other words, all names legally used by the mother would apear on the child's certificate.

Annie

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Sep 2011 11:22

Under normal circumstances, then yes, Harvey was her maiden name.

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Sep 2011 11:50

Alternatively, in the case of previous marriages you could see:-

Jones, late Hutchinson, formerly Harvey.

The maiden name is not necessarily her birth name but that she was known as at the time of her first marriage. This explains why sometimes it is not possible to find a birth based on the maiden name quoted on the marriage certificate.

Maddie

Maddie Report 26 Sep 2011 12:16

thank you
maddie

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Sep 2011 12:53

Aka, or 'otherwise' could also indicate a name she had used previously i.e. that of a man she had been living with but never married.

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 Sep 2011 13:10

Maddie just to throw a spanner in the works............

On my Gt Grandfathers birth cert it says for mother Wood formery Joyce, so you would think that was her maiden name, so did we, however it turned out it wasn't! She had married twice......

Kuros

Kuros Report 26 Sep 2011 13:12

I'm going on certs I've got that are like this. My husband's female ancestors made a habit of remarrying. AKA need not have been a legal name and it's only legal titles which can appear on certs. My husband's grandparents had to marry all over again twenty years after the first "marriage" which was found to be not legal because she had married in the name the family called her which was not the name on her birth certificate.

We have "late" on some certs too.

Annie

Maddie

Maddie Report 26 Sep 2011 14:36

oh dear patricia
really don't need any spanners right now
thanks everyone
madie

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Sep 2011 15:22

As it has never been illegal to call yourself by another name rather than your birth name I cannot see why someone would 'have to' remarry just because they had used the name they had always been known by.....But happy to be corrected if I am wrong!

If that was the case a great number of my ancestor's marriages would be 'invalid' as they had a habit of not adhering to birth/baptism given forenames (and sometimes even surnames!) when they married :-D

Chris

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Sep 2011 16:41

It can be so confusing, I was born in 1943 but can only get a copy of a birth certificate which was registered in 1957. :-S

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 26 Sep 2011 18:13

Valerie

I was reading something recently about somone who had a similar problem, born xx and reregistered yy, but they managed to get a copy of the original certificate under the 'Freedom of Information Act'.

Wish I could remember where I read it :-(

Chris

Gee

Gee Report 26 Sep 2011 20:18

I'd suggest that you trace back the 'mother' and see if you can find a birth name, a married name and maybe even more

If you check the birth of the son/daughter online then it should give you the mothers maiden name, providing it was Sept 1911 onwards

When you've done this and bought certificates then you will have proof