Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

they differ

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 28 Sep 2011 07:54

Hearing from a distant relation yesterday she had me wondering if the 1851 census on ancestry could differ a little from Find My Past I never had doubt until then anyone else noticed a difference thankyou
Margaret

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Sep 2011 07:57

Well, the image will be the same obviously. But transcriptions often differ in the sense that people have read it differently.
Jan

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Sep 2011 09:02

Ancestry did a rush job to get the 1851 census released early and as result their transcriptions were riddled with errors. They did eventually re-check much of it but don't be surprised if there are still mistakes that weren't spotted.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2011 09:04

If your 'reading programme' can't cope with the image, and relies on the transcription, would you like to copy and paste it? Someone can check it against the images for you.

Transcriptions are only as good as the transcribers, and as Jan has said, people do interpret things differently.