Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP! I'M STUCK!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2011 18:05

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone is able to give me some advice/help as I've become stuck with my searches. Just to give you some background, I do not know much about my family and due to family rifts and deaths I am unable to contact the family I know as they will not help me.

I wanted to find out about my grandfather. So I purchased my father's birth certificate (my father has passed away so I couldn't ask him) to find out his father's full name. I thought the birth certificate would fill in other gaps too but it hasn't. Could anyone tell me what information should be on the birth certificate that I sent away for.

I was hoping to find out enough information about my granfather to trace his parents and so on. Also I am trying to research other family members on my mother's side and I know I would need certificates for that too, but it gets quite expensive, so how do I find out parents names, DOB's and where they lived etc?

Please help, I'm so unsure. Is there somewhere I could go for help?

xxx

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 18:13

Birth Certificate:

Date of Birth
Sex
Name
Mother's name including Maiden name or any former surname
Father's name
Where born
Who registered the birth
Where it was registered

Hope this helps

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 18:16

Do you know your grandparents names on your mother's side of the family? Are they still alive? If not, and you know their names, an area where they were born and some idea of when they were born / died you could post that information on this board. Someone may be able to help you find some of the other information that you are looking for.

Lynne

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 18:17

You can search freebmd, as it suggests it is free to search. It's possible that you can find information there!!

Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2011 18:19

Thanks Lynne, I have the information you have stated so I know my grandfather's name and address, do you have any idea how I find his date of birth and death or how I would try and find his parents? Is there somewhere I could go to look through archives?

Sorry for all the questions!
xxx

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 18:21

If you post his name on here I can take a look for you. Could also do with an idea of where he was born / died and when.

If you could also post the names of mother and father on the birth certificate that you have for your father, that would be helpful.

Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2011 18:29

His name is William Richard Griffiths, his address at the time was Porth, but I did hear when I was young that he was born in Rhondda. He married Beryl Morgan (born in 1928) in 1953 in Pontypridd and they had four children one being my father Gerwyn Griffiths (born 1961). I think he died in his 40's.

Thank you for all your help Lynne, its much apreciated! xxx

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 18:32

Death registration

Name: Gerwyn Griffiths
Birth Date: 5 May 1961
Date of Registration: Mar 2003
Age at Death: 41
Registration district: Cardiff
Inferred County: Glamorgan, Monmouthshire
Register number: C34B
District and Subdistrict: 890/1C
Entry number: 39

Birth Registration

Name: Gerwyn Griffiths
Mother's Maiden Surname: Morgan
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1961
Registration district: Pontypridd
Inferred County: Glamorganshire
Volume Number: 8b
Page Number: 898 (click to see others on page)

Marriage of William to Beryl:

Name: William R Griffiths
Spouse Surname: Morgan
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1953
Registration district: Pontypridd
Inferred County: Glamorgan
Volume Number: 8b
Page Number: 1380
Find Spouse: Beryl Morgan

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2011 18:38

Thanks Lynne, that's my dad's death and birth certificate. I have both but don't know how to use them to find my father's father William.

Thank you so much for looking and all your help. I know I'm a pain!

xxxx

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 18:45

You may need to order the marriage certificate for your grandparents. This should give you the age that they were when they married. You have indicated when your grandmother was born (1928) do you have any idea when your grandfather was born.

Unfortunately with surnames like Griffiths and Morgan together with Wales may make this difficult to find without further information.

Do you know whether your grandmother had a middle name? I have searched on freebmd for births c1928 for Beryl Morgan and found 17, some of which were not born in Wales!!! Several of them do have a middle initial.

If you have some idea of when your grandfather died, it may be possible that this date, combined with his birth year, that he could be found using either freebmd or ancestry.

Was your dad the youngest of the four brothers?

Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2011 18:50

I cannot thank you enough for looking for me.

Beryl was born in 1928 in Forest of Dean and I don't believe she shad a middle name.

I think William may have died in the 70's.

I think I'll have to buy the marriage certificate like you said, it just gets so expensive if you need certificates for everything.

Thank you sooo much Lynne, You've been a huge help!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 28 Sep 2011 19:09

You're welcome.

I know that it becomes expensive, but no point in guessing, you really need to be 100% sure, and of course the only way is with the certificate.

Good Luck!

If you still need some help on your mothers side send me a PM and I will have a look for you.

Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2011 19:14

Thanks Lynne, thats really kind of you. xx