Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding to family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 28 Sep 2011 21:56

I have recently found someone who's tree will add a huge amounts to my family tree. Is there a way to cut and paste lumps of it into mine or is it a case of doing it bit by bit?
Thx Ian

patchem

patchem Report 28 Sep 2011 22:00

Ian,
This is a frequently asked question, and the answer is bit by bit.
In addition, even if you could add it in a lump you do not know if it is totally invented, and so should not do so.
What would you gain by having lots of names in your tree but no satisfaction in knowing that you believe them to be accurate to the best of your ability?
The fun bit is the satisfaction of doing it yourself, using their tree for guidance, and for checking against your research.

Ian

Ian Report 28 Sep 2011 22:01

Thx

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 28 Sep 2011 23:34

Though some of us agree to share research and results, so do need to add new sections sometimes. You can add 5 names at a time via your clipboard.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Sep 2011 05:23

I assume that you have the permission of the other tree owner to acquire the information from their tree?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 29 Sep 2011 12:25

Of course.