Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial in unconsecrated ground

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 29 Sep 2011 14:45

I have just found the burial record for my great aunt, she died in 1930 and was buried in unconsecrated ground, has anyone any idea as to why that would happen? My husband suggested she had committed suicide, however her death cert arrived today and the poor woman died from stomach cancer, so it wasn't for that reason.
Any suggestions folks?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Sep 2011 14:55

Some people just prefer unconsecrated ground if they are not particularly religious. I think some non-conformists may be buried in unconsecrated ground as the consecrated ground would have been "consecrated" by the bishop covering the area.

Kath. x

wisechild

wisechild Report 29 Sep 2011 15:03

Possibly she had never been baptised.

Irene

Irene Report 29 Sep 2011 15:55

I know she had been baptised, i have found the record. Perhaps she wasn't religious and that is the reason... i do know that she wasn't married to the man she was living with, she had been married years before and never divorced her husband, i wonder if that might be the reason....

Joy

Joy Report 29 Sep 2011 16:12

Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason, seemingly: a baptised ancestor was buried in unconsecrated ground yet her husband in consecrated ground. :-S :)

Irene

Irene Report 29 Sep 2011 17:12

Thanks for your replies, i have emailed the cemetery registrar and hope they can shed some light on this...

Flick

Flick Report 30 Sep 2011 13:46

I would suspect that the fact she was 'living in sin' was definitely relevant to where she was interred.