Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War 2 Burma

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 30 Sep 2011 15:29

My scottish grandfather fought during world war 2 in Burma. According to my father my grandfather was part of a sabres regiment and that only two of the original regiment including my grandfather made it back alive.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some info on sabres regiments in WW2?

Tawny

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 30 Sep 2011 16:04

Tawny

Sorry Ive never heard of a Sabre Regiment in WW 2 sounds more like a cavalry regiment of old times.

However,if your father is the NOK he could try to obtain his service records from The Veterans Agency, but there is a long wait to get these, like 9 months, and will cost £30-00.
Note these records are not in the public domain so you cannot see them online
Here is the link to the Veterans Agency which explains all, you can download the application form from the site.It maybe worthwhile to give them a ring the phone number is on the link

Link

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Hope this helps

George

Tawny

Tawny Report 30 Sep 2011 16:20

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Tawny