Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Child attached to wrong wife

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ronald

Ronald Report 30 Sep 2011 20:15

I have an ancestor who married twice although I only found the second (first) one recently and have already attached his daughter (who I thought was illegitimate) to the later marriage. How can I detach her and reattach to the correct marriage. GR won't let me delete the second wife because of multiple relatives. Is there any way to do this?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Sep 2011 22:46

I think you will need to delete all descendants of the daughter starting with the most recent and working backwards until you get to the daughter, then add her to the correct mother. If this means an awful lot of work it might be worth asking Genes if they can do it for you.

Hopefully someone else will answer if there is an easier way of doing it.

Kath. x

Lynski

Lynski Report 30 Sep 2011 23:23

I am pretty sure that you can somehow change the parent of a child - yes, I just looked at my tree.

If you click on the child you should see a tab at the top that says Change Parents - try that.

Please let us know if it works for you.

Ronald

Ronald Report 30 Sep 2011 23:57

Kathleen, I have sent a request to Genes to sort it for me because I didn't want to delete people all over the place but Lynski has the simplest solution! This worked perfectly for me and even put the marriages in the right order. Saved me a lot of grief!

Thanks Lynski!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Oct 2011 00:05

Glad someone was able to sort it for you Ronald. I haven't touched my tree on here since I first put it on years ago. I keep all my information on my FTM software, so I'm not used to how things work on the Genes tree.

Kath. x