Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Employment Records for 1930's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 2 Oct 2011 16:02

Hi. I am trying to find out where my grandmother worked as a Cook in Portsmouth circa 1932/3 and was wondering if there are any records I could use to help me. Any ideas?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Oct 2011 16:30

Do you know if there was a connection to a Service family, - eg. Navy?
Higher rank families are likely to have had a cook, as would some doctors / surgeons.
Establishments such as orphanages / schools / hospitals/ Naval establishments would all employ cooks so the list is unlimited and difficult to pinpoint without a bit more information.

What information do you have to know that the person worked there?

Gwyn

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Oct 2011 16:31

Karen, railways, police force and other such occupations have some records I believe, but I am 99% sure these do not exist for most employees, especially domestic staff. Unfortunately - i would love to trace my ancestors' workplaces too!
Jan

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 3 Oct 2011 20:13

Hello Karen and welcome to the boards.

It may be worth putting your grandmother's details into the Search Trees box above to see if anyone else on this site has her in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner to see if they have further information. Cx.