Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors from Ireland...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

stella

stella Report 3 Oct 2011 10:17

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction, my great great grandparents were from Ireland circa 1830's-40's , great great grandgrandmother was Rose Boylan (1841?) from County Leitrim, my great great grandfather was Dominic Molloy 1838, I have traced them in the UK but I have no idea how to trace in Ireland, I can't find Rose Boylan in the 1851 census (uk) so I have no idea of her parents/family who came to UK with her, my problem is the names keep getting spelt in various ways ie Molloy, Maloy etc, I am assuming Boylan is spelt differently in the 1851 census, I have tried variants...any help would be much appreciated :-)

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 3 Oct 2011 10:22

You could try this site for Irish roots:-

http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?&set=yes

There is a Dominic Molloy showing for a church baptism in 1838, however you need to buy credits to look at the record

Lynne

stella

stella Report 3 Oct 2011 10:23

Thanks, I'll give it a go :-)

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 3 Oct 2011 10:26

Also a Rose Boylan showing for Baptism in 1843, County Leitrim

Lynne

stella

stella Report 3 Oct 2011 10:46

Hi, yes I have just found that, thanks again! I am going to pay to view that record but do you or anybody else know of any free look ups for Ireland???

Donna17

Donna17 Report 3 Oct 2011 10:57

Ancestry has free access to Griffiths Valuation 1848 -1864 (which is apparently like a census for landholding in Ireland) just for one day - says for 2nd of October but I assume it is on some US time zone as it is working right now :)

safc

safc Report 3 Oct 2011 11:01

Marriages Dec 1857 (>99%)
Boylan Rose Wigan 8c 96 xxxx
Glenning Michael Wigan 8c 96
Maloy Dominick Wigan 8c 96 xxxx
Riddon Bridget Wigan 8c 96

stella

stella Report 3 Oct 2011 13:46

Thanks everyone for your input, very kind :-)

Joy

Joy Report 3 Oct 2011 14:09

I hope you found this useful http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/951721 that was brought forward for you.

stella

stella Report 6 Oct 2011 11:51

Thanks agian, you have all been a great help :-)