Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Gazette 1946

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 4 Oct 2011 16:21

Can someone help please,
Looking for for any information about

George Cunningham Pow

Leading Aircraftman
I was told that this article was in the London Gazette but I can't find it.
I don't know when and where he was born.

Thank you
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 4 Oct 2011 16:38

Debs
Thank you for letting me know.
I will have to ask my friend again how she found it. :-)

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 4 Oct 2011 17:03

google google google[

PDF]
SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, i JANUARY, 1946 75
www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37407/pages/75/page.pdf - Block all www.london-gazette.co.uk results
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
1403468 Leading Aircraftman Harold Percival. PHILLIPS, Royal Air Force Volunteer. Reserve. 1108403 Leading Aircraftman George. Cunningham Pow, Royal ...

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37407/pages/75/page.pdf

Susan

Susan Report 4 Oct 2011 17:12

Lindsey
Thank you very much. I did google it and still couldn't find it. Must be my "old age". :-)

Susan

Susan Report 4 Oct 2011 17:34

Joan,
Thank you very much for looking for me. :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Oct 2011 12:37

Susan

The supplement is a list of people who have been awarded various medals etc. The heading for the section that your relative is in is on page 68 and it is a list of those awarded the Brirish Empire Medal (Military Division).
If you want to see it for yourself (and for future reference) click on the following link http://www.london-gazette.co.uk

On the home page, click on "Advanced Search" at the top right. You can then fill in whichever boxes you like. In this case, because you know the Issue number, click on the red writing where it says "Search by Issue Number".

Then put 37407 in the Issue Number box, scroll down the page and put his name in one of the three boxes. It is better to put less rather than more, unless it is a very common name. I just put Pow. Then click Search, which will bring up one or more options - in this case just one - page 75.
Click "Open PDF", which will show page 75.

To work your way back to find the heading, click on the "previous" button at the top of the page. Or, as you know it is on page 68, you can put 68 in the drop down menu and go straight there.

Good Hunting.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 5 Oct 2011 20:04

Have you tried the National Archives? I went to them to try and find out more about my father's mention in despatches - I did have some sort of reference I found in the HMS Repulse & Prince of Wales website - and I did for quite a small sum get copies of the government correspondence including some marked Top Secret! I did later find the award in the London Gazette as well.

Susan

Susan Report 8 Oct 2011 16:46

AndysMum, Elizabeth and Joan,
Thank you for your help of this person.
I have been away from G/R for a few days and so have not seen your messages. Sorry.

Sue