Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Northern Ireland Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 5 Oct 2011 16:48

How do I find birth records for Northern Ireland? I am interested in 1919-1920.

Brian

Brian Report 5 Oct 2011 16:57

I am trying to find the birth certificate of Charles James Lewis,born 1919 in N. Ireland, apparently he is my father :-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Oct 2011 17:14

This is where you can come and chat with other members about all things related to family history and researching, not for looking up Ancestors and Relatives. The Find Ancestors and Find Living Relatives Boards are intended for that and there are lots of members who will help you .

That said, Irish Birth details are available on the Family Search website. Northern Ireland as we know it today did nor come into being until 1921 but when you say NI do you have any idea of a locations?

The Family Search website has Irish civil registrations for this period but a location may help to pinpoint the one you want.

Once you have the details then you should be able to order the cert from the Irish GRO. http://www.groireland.ie/

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Oct 2011 20:00

Cheaper still are the uncertified images of the rego as you'll note when you download the order form.

Potty

Potty Report 6 Oct 2011 13:38

No birth registered anywhere in Ireland between 1918 and 1920 for a Charles James Lewis. There is one for a James Charles; Dungannon is in Co Tyrone, NI:

name: James Charles Lewis
registration district: Dungannon
event type: BIRTHS
registration quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1920
volume number: 1
page number: 634

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Oct 2011 14:05

Hold fire ........you have another thread asking about his marriage .....now you say you have his marriage certificate to his wife ...Marry hill on there should be charles fathers name ......which you said is Samuel

Having Charles James birth date will give you no info on Charles james children from either of his marriages which are bigamy ....you need his second marriage certificate which has been given to you on other thread......to see if its the right Charles with father samuel and his other wifes name so you can cross check their childrens births

Brian

Brian Report 6 Oct 2011 14:43

Hello Potty and Kempina,
Sorry for the two threads but I have only been looking at the Find Ancestors board having been told off yesterday.

Seems reasonable that Potty may have good answer to the question as in my family Northern Ireland seemed to be taken as his past home.

I will keep looking at the Find Ancestors board.

Maura

Maura Report 6 Oct 2011 15:07

The birth Potty found for a James Charles Lewis in Dugannon his father a Edward

Brian

Brian Report 6 Oct 2011 17:03

I now am realising how frustrating this can be. Thank you Maura for the information as I was getting quite excited.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Oct 2011 19:47

It took me 5 years to find mygt grandad........only to find he probable wasnt but you never know he could have been ....coz the dates match quite well all but a month or so!!

The key to this is NEVER GIVE UP

Brian

Brian Report 6 Oct 2011 22:14

love it and point taken :-)