Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Landlords

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thursdayschild

Thursdayschild Report 5 Oct 2011 17:14

Hi, How would i find out who was landlord of a public house back in 1946.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Oct 2011 17:19

Via the Licensed Victuallers Association perhaps or the brewery.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 5 Oct 2011 18:36

what about an Historic Directory eg Kelly's or a tel directory

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2011 19:03

If they had a phone in 1946, there could be listing on the

British Phone Books, 1880-1984

on Ancestry.

Failing that, the library local to the Pub may have trade directories or ER as suggested by RutlandBelle. Both are search-able by address, and the trade directory sometimes by name.

jax

jax Report 6 Oct 2011 00:57

I just looked for the pub I used to run on that site DF and it only went up to 1916

Which was helpful for me as I had been looking for it for the last eighteen months same people from 1881 until at least 1916 lot longer than I lasted, maybe I should have been a farmer aswell and may have made somesort of living :-D

jax

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Oct 2011 04:15

WOULD NEED SSUED A LICENCE
SO TRY COUNTY HISTORY SOCEITY
THINK POLICE RECORDS