Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When was mothers maiden name put on birth records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendaC

BrendaC Report 5 Oct 2011 22:07

Can anyone tell me when they started putting the mothers maiden name on the birth records. My g father or his 4 brothers up to year1911 have not got their mothers name on it, His sisters and two bothers born after 1911 have??? was it an oversite or didn`t it come in to being till a later date??

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Oct 2011 22:11

Brenda - it was in 1911.

The actual birth certificates would still show the mother's maiden name on births registered before 1911, but the index only displayed it after that time.

Joy

Joy Report 5 Oct 2011 22:12

From http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/civreg/ =
from Sept 1911 the mother's maiden name is also included.

BrendaC

BrendaC Report 5 Oct 2011 22:17

MarieCeleste and Joy Kentish Maid. Thanks for that. I was thinking maybe they had a different mother. Now I know x

Joy

Joy Report 5 Oct 2011 22:18

You're welcome :)

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Oct 2011 01:14

The GRO index contains:
Mum's Maiden Surname from 1911q3.
Spouse's surname from 1912q1.
Death age from 1866q1.

The certifate itself naturally contains these items.

NB the GRO index contents aren't necessarily reflected in the local rego districts own index - some of these are online - see http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd
Here's a set of examples:

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1838
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
MCCANN George ASPINALL Margaret Wigan, Register Office or Registrar Attended Wigan & Leigh ROW/1/50

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1838
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
MCCANN Michael Wigan Wigan & Leigh ASPINALL WIG/3/277

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1838
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
MCCANN Michael 0 Wigan Wigan & Leigh WIG/2/397