Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian Electoral roll till 1980

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 6 Oct 2011 01:02

Morning,

Not sure if this has been mentioned .....

Ancestry has added at least Queensland and New South Wales Electoral rolls to 1980 ...

Haven't looked at other states as yet ...

This may help putting a few more jiqsaw puzzles together...

Cheers
Karen of Brisbane
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Valerie

Valerie Report 6 Oct 2011 02:20

Hi ... in case it helps .... each Australian State's Library offers an excellent 'Ask a Librarian' service (on-line) ...they will check electoral rolls ..past & present. i.e. 'NSW State Library'.... 'QLD State Library' etc. They also check newspaper death notices too.

Valerie (WAus)

Karen

Karen Report 6 Oct 2011 02:50

Hi Valerie

Tks for adding that info .. very helpful

Cheers
Karen

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 6 Oct 2011 06:54

Hi Karen.

The state of Victoria is also now up to 1980.

Just found myself...1960s upwards Occupation...Postman...Actually, i was a telegram delivery bloke........:-D

Tony ( Victoria )

Karen

Karen Report 6 Oct 2011 07:44

Hi Tony

Yes, I also found myself .. ugh, thats a bit scary :-S :-S

Cheers
Karen

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 6 Oct 2011 07:56

lol

Yes, a bit scary......i was a young bloke in my 20s in the 60s

Now i am in my 60s...!! :-( :-(

Tony :-0 :-D

Karen

Karen Report 6 Oct 2011 08:11

.. and I was a sweet young girl in the 1980's .. opps , gave toooo much away :-D :-D

Karen

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Oct 2011 10:14

Thanks for highlighting this as I'm currently working on a family branch in Sydney.

Gai

Gai Report 6 Oct 2011 10:28

I was still too young to vote in 1980 though fond memories of 1980 as that was my very first year of full time work.

Just been looking for the relatives in NSW and notice that it jumps from 1963 to 1980. So I wonder what happened to the 1970's.

Gai

jax

jax Report 6 Oct 2011 22:33

I have managed to follow my Aunt from 1948 until she died in 1979 in Queensland and that was free on the ancestry 15 days of freebies.

jax

Karen

Karen Report 7 Oct 2011 01:57

Hi All

It has also helped me greatly with a few loose ends ..

As usual it opened up a few more gaps. and I HAVE to go and do some house work :-S :-S

This has to be one of the most addictive hobbies around, but o so interesting.

Five years ago I used to go to the research centres and spend hours, till my eyes would fall out of my head reading 'films' of parish records - now I can do all at home. Tks to websites like FMP, Ancestry and Familysearch. On line newspaper searching is another great resource site and 'free'.

Cheers
Karen