Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding graves

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 6 Oct 2011 20:25

please could someone tell me how i find a grave near where i live is a large cemetery which has a office so you go in give them the date of death they then give you a plot number and you have to find it yourself thanks to the local grave digger he helped me find my grandmas grave.\but my g grandad is buried in a rural area which has huge grounds 3 fields of graves the church is only opened on sundays so does any one know how i can find his grave thanks chris

Janet

Janet Report 6 Oct 2011 20:44

Hi Chris
Your best bet would be to get hold of a monumental inscription booklet usually published by the county's Family History Society which may show your G.Grandad's grave plus a map to show where his grave is. Good look
Janet

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Oct 2011 20:57

There will likely be a parish secretary who you could write to, or even the parish vicar, who may have overall care of several churches in a rural area.

I was able to search online for a parish of interest to me for a similar search.
The vicar kindly checked the parish records for me.

Your church must have a burial plot plan somewhere,although some original copies may be lodged in a county archive.
The parish would need to know the placements though, so I would imagine that they hold a copy too.

Gwyn

Angela

Angela Report 6 Oct 2011 21:11

Have you tried googling the Cemetery under Google Maps? You might find it there.

My borough has its Cemetery maps online.

Google the borough where the Cemetery is located. They are bound to have a search bar so type in Map of ???? Cemetery.

It's a shame you didn't mention where or the name of the Cemetery. I might of been able to find it for you.

Edit..

Just thought why not call the the Cemetery and ask them if they can send you a map. I called Colchester Cemetery and they found the reference no. for me and sent me a map. They were very helpful.

Christine

Christine Report 6 Oct 2011 22:13

having probs with pc tried to send message earlier}thanks angela and gwen for all the advice and info, my gg grandad was henry whilton sometimes spelt wilton born 1844 in horsley woodhouse derbyshire died 29 3 1916 in horsley woodhouse but buried in the next village just called horsley the church is st, winifreds thanks again chris

Valerie

Valerie Report 7 Oct 2011 01:32

... Christiine ... I received my ancestor's grave details by contacting the local council (Lewisham) .....they even emailed me a map with location marked!
(No fee either!)

Valerie (WAus)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Oct 2011 15:03

Chris, I was going to suggest that you google the church and send an email to them but........I don't know where you got St. Winifred's from!

The parish church of Horsley is St. Clement & St. John. It may still be worth checking with them. Cx.

Christine

Christine Report 7 Oct 2011 22:34

been baby sitting yes i made a mistake i also dont know where i got st winifreds from ive e-mail the reverand of the church waiting for a reply thanks cynthia