Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1920s divorces

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KIM

KIM Report 7 Oct 2011 17:51

Does anyone know if records exist anywhere for divorces that happened in London during the 1920s ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Oct 2011 17:59

The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937 : less than 0.2%

You can search for records here -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/divorce.htm

Divorce amongst ordinary people was fairly uncommon. There is a possibility that they didn't actual divorce, and just claimed they had, or that they were widowed or single.

jax

jax Report 7 Oct 2011 19:33

The person I think you are looking for was divorced in 1929 after it looks like a bigamist marriage in 1927 then they remarried in 1930.

But it would be an idea to reply on your other two threads on living relatives

KIM

KIM Report 7 Oct 2011 21:27

Thanks Jax...Will do

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Oct 2011 15:13

£40 is a ridiculous price! I've looked at lots of divorce files at Kew and I think most of the ones I've looked at are only 10-15 pages.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Oct 2011 16:33

I meant that £40 is not justified for copying a few sheets, which is what TNA would do, In this situation it would be a lot cheaper to get a researcher to do it, or to go there yourself, even if you had to pay up to £20 in fares!

Agreed - cost of the Nisi and Absolute IS a lot!

Quoy

Quoy Report 10 Oct 2011 19:33

form the Beta search site an example of a divorce file

This record can be copied and sent to you by post or email from £6.99 via our Record copying service or you can view this record at The National Archives for free. Advanced ordering is available.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Home.mvc

GinaS

GinaS Report 10 Oct 2011 20:41

I paid to view a Divorce in 1923/1924 Papers covering one year, a couple of years back - price £4.00.

I was able to make copies of same.

£40.00 far too much