Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family history software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OllietheOwl

OllietheOwl Report 8 Oct 2011 22:21

help required as I am getting bogged down.
I need to decide whether to go for Family Tree Maker or Roots Magic.
Family Tree does include 3 months with Ancestory.Co.Uk. Is this site any better than Genes reunited. I have another 5 months to go on my platinum Member.
Look forward to hearing from you all, and do value your input
Many thanks - Olwen

Gai

Gai Report 9 Oct 2011 00:14

Olwen,

I have never heard of Roots Magic so can't comment but I bought Family Tree Maker and here in Australia got 6 months with Ancestry. I think FTM is a good program and I have now upgraded to World Ancestry as my ancestors went to all corners of the globe.

If you aren't sure about ancestry try the free trial period just make sure you cancel before the Trial period is due to end.

I like FTM so much that now its available for a Mac I'm going to buy that version of the program.

Gai

moonbi

moonbi Report 9 Oct 2011 02:46

Hi Gai,
yes FTM for Mac is also great. I have had it for 6 months now and I find the best thing I can do is transfer anything from the desktop straight into the program. So I save things to the desk top first before I decide where I need them.

Moonbi

Less

Less Report 9 Oct 2011 04:35

Hello Olwen, New on the scene is free program with option to premium is Family Tree Builder from MyHeritage.
It is much friendlier than FTMaker and has many useful aids and seems stable. I have been using it for a few months and no longer want to use FTM again.
Less.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Oct 2011 06:21

Having tried several programs I settled for FTM a few years back. Just upgraded to FTM 2012 last week.

Also for me, Ancestry is a must - especially for census returns.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2011 10:27

Some people have said that they don't register the Ancestry component of FTM until their sub runs out.

Perhaps someone who has it would care to comment?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Oct 2011 10:50

If you are already set up on Ancestry then you register / link your FTM program with your existing Ancestry Account either at the time of installation, or by using the Register Family Tree option under the 'Help' drop down menu. You don't wait till your sub runs out.

Activating your free subscription is a separate process, which is also found under the 'Help' drop down menu under Activate Ancestry Subscription.

When your existing subscription runs out you cancel it so it isn't renewed automatically. You then activate your free subscription and when prompted, enter the name and email address you use for your Ancestry membership.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 9 Oct 2011 14:31

I have Rootsmagic & I bought a book on how to use it.

It can be very compllicated to used and it is quite exepensive. I have given up, still update occassionally via GEDCOM's from Ancestry

Keep a limited tree on here. And another full but Private tree on Ancestry. Rest of my research is all on file.

OllietheOwl

OllietheOwl Report 9 Oct 2011 19:49

I have decided to go for FTM version 2012. Ancestry does look good.
Having move house 6 months ago and also retiring I now have time for this new and absorbing hobby. I seem to share this with a lot of kind and helpful people so many thanks to you all.

Olwen

Countrymouse

Countrymouse Report 9 Oct 2011 20:21

I have just ordered FTM 2012. Ancestry didn't really come into it as I have done lots of research but need to organise it better!
Perhaps we can come back and say how we are getting on with it?
InspectorGreen Pen was helpful in making my decision so i shall be coming back to him if i have any problems as he seems so well informed!!
Also I am considering whether to transfer data as a gedcom or start again entering individuals, checking my info. The latter could be time consuming tho but i would like to check it.