Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mariner deaths before 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 9 Oct 2011 15:12

Hello again,
Does anyone know if a death at sea before 1837 had to be notified? I have a Mariner born 1795, married 1813 but cannot find a death for him. His wife Catherine Gardiner (nee Pybus) was by 1851 living with someone else. She does not say she is widowed but his wife. His name was Robinson Harrison. Later when Robinson dies she then changes back to Gardiner. She dies in Hull in 1871. My Mariner was Francis Gardiner born Knottingly 1795. Catherine was also born in Knottingly in 1796.
Any help would be appreciated.
Linda :-S

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 9 Oct 2011 15:58

Mine died at Spurn Point near Hull in about 1833 and that was recorded. Have you tried the Hull maritime Museum who hold records of those who died at sea. You might be lucky there. :-D

Linda

Linda Report 9 Oct 2011 16:47

Thank you for this info. Will try them tomorrow.
I was born in Hull but now live on the south coast but have a cousin who is helping with the Family History so she could go there herself.
Thanks again.
Linda :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Oct 2011 20:28

The GRO only hold births and deaths at sea from 1837.
I think FMP has transcribed the index.

Info on what records the GRO holds and when is in the appendix at:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_186584.pdf

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 9 Oct 2011 20:56

http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/discover/hull_history_centre/our_collections/source_guides/fishing_crew_lists.aspx

This quite a good list for Hull. Had a quick look for your man, but couldn't find him. Did find a Thomas (surname spelled Gardner)

thanks
:-)