Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IRISH RECORDS.........ARRGGGGGG!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sharonlondon

sharonlondon Report 10 Oct 2011 00:26

I went to the Irish GRO site to buy my Granddads birth certificate,hoping to find out his mothers name
.I know his date of birth 5.6.1913, I know his fathers name & I know he was born in Dublin.
Filled in all the fields until I came to mothers name which I left blank.
A message appeared saying that the transaction couldn't be completed because that "field" was compulsory.
They charge 10 euros (8 for the cert & 2 for "searching") god knows what they search for as they require all the info!!!

I would not have minded paying extra because the mothers name was missing but you are not given that option.

Feel totally frustrated!!!!!!!

Any suggestions (other than going to Dublin!!)

Cheers!

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 10 Oct 2011 00:43

HAVE YOU TRIED FAMILYSEARCH.ORG
THEIR NEW SEARCHES HAVE A LOT OF IRISH DATA ON IT

sharonlondon

sharonlondon Report 10 Oct 2011 02:18

I did!! But looking at that collection (up to 1922) it says that the mothers name isn't on it & theres no genealogy value.
Looks like I'm stumped!!
But thanks for replying!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Oct 2011 09:42

The Irish GRO will supply a Certified Copy or a photocopy of an entry in the Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages provided sufficient information is furnished by an applicant to enable the records to be identified. If you don't know all the details then put "Not Known"

If the website won't accept partial details then order by post (or even fax if you have access to one). You simply download the appropriate application form. Fill in as much information as you can, and send off with your credit card details, Mastercard or Visa.

A photocopy only costs €6 as opposed to €10 for a full cert, and contains the same details.

See this page for more details on ordering

http://www.groireland.ie/about_us.htm

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 12 Oct 2011 09:12

Do you know if he was the eldest child or was there others born before him,,,?
It may just be possible to find the parents by sifting through the 1911 Irish Census (free to search)...
Why dont you put his name on here and see what may transpire...
Do you know your g.grandfathers occupation and religion...?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Oct 2011 16:02

You can always phone them as well. I have done so in the past and found them very helpful.

If you go to the link shown above the phone number will be on there.