Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Co Uk subscription

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 11 Oct 2011 09:18

my membership is up for renewal and yet again I have had to phone and ask if they are giving any discounts, as before he said No then looked at my details ( member since 2006) and said they could give 25%., making Premium about £80.

I think the records on their site are excellent but why do they not give a discount automatically to their subscribers, if they had said I had to pay the full price I would have cancelled out of principal although I would have missed using their site.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 11 Oct 2011 09:50

"why do they not give a discount automatically"

Because they hope that their existing subscribers will accept their latest charges without question. Unfortunately in most cases they are correct in that assumption.

It now seems a very common practice amongst not only organisations such as Ancestry but your motor insurers, your motor breakdown cover providers, your health insurance providers and many others.

Well done to you for querying things with them. If more people did the same then perhaps these organisations would stop trying to rip off their existing customers.

Gee

Gee Report 11 Oct 2011 10:22

Yeah like Direct Line hiking up my car insurance by 50% making it £900!!!

So I cancelled and got the same cover for £360 with MoreThan

Rip off Britain :-P

courtmk

courtmk Report 11 Oct 2011 10:31

Wow I never realised they did this! Thanks for the tip....

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 11 Oct 2011 11:01

Hi Pauline and everyone,

this is why I posted this topic as so many people just renew their Ancestry susbscription automatically. If anyone know people who subscribe to this site make sure they phone before renewing (it is a free phone number from the UK but goes through to Utah) and I must admit they answered immediately no long music break.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 11 Oct 2011 12:36

Hi Lesley,

Glad to hear you got a discount.

I rang a few days ago as my subscription was coming to an end and was refused a discount. The woman I spoke to gave me a cancellation number almost immediately saying that there were no discounts available at the moment.

Chris

Joy

Joy Report 11 Oct 2011 13:26

I was told on the telephone that I could have a 10% discount. However, I think it works out cheaper to cancel and subscribe again through Quidco.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 11 Oct 2011 16:36

Gosh I am amazed they are refusing any discounts - I did phone at
9 00 am this morning so perhaps they are allocated a certain amount of discounts during the day, sorry to hear others have not been as lucky as me.

Incidentally I did phone last year and got the same discount.

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 11 Oct 2011 22:46

I agree, it always pays to ask. I originally ages ago had a 14 day trial with Ancestry, then signed up for the basic membership.

We belong to the National Trust and they have a little ad saying you can get a discount through being a member. However, when I phoned Ancestry, I was told as I'd had one trial, I couldn't have another.

I said this seemed a bit unfair and could they offer me a discount as I couldn't use that offer. They did give me a discount, but not as much as I'd have had through the NT.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 11 Oct 2011 23:56

I COULDNT AFFORD THE FULL UK SUBS LAST YEAR
SO HAD TO GO MONTHLY SUBS,ITS DEARER BUT ONLY WAY

Jenine

Jenine Report 12 Oct 2011 00:07

I tried to go via Quidco, but they have no offers :o(

I will try phoning Ancestry tomorrow to see if I can obtain some type of discount, wish me luck :-)

Donna17

Donna17 Report 12 Oct 2011 01:38

I have bought the 2012 Family Tree Maker program from Amazon (on pre-order, comes out on the 14th) for just under £39, which comes with 6 months premium membership.
I wanted the new program anyway as it allows you to sync the tree on your pc with any updates you have made online, so I am quite pleased with that price.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Oct 2011 02:21

Try this:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/nat_trust2010

I don't believe they actually ask for your membership number.

Rose

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 12 Oct 2011 04:24

25% Off subscriptions when using a card not previously registered with Ancestry. <<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.family-tree.co/discounts.html

Get 25% off an annual Premium Ancestry membership! Sign up after clicking OK and receive a 14 day free trial and an annual membership for just £80.50, a saving of 25% over the normal price of £107.40! New customers only. What a superb deal!

Same as Rose mentioned,
but even if you re-register they have your CC on record.
PLUS of course go through QUIDCO ( worth a try )

;-)

Joy

Joy Report 12 Oct 2011 08:30

"I tried to go via Quidco, but they have no offers :o("
- http://www.quidco.com/ -
Ancestry.co.uk
25% cashback

Jenine

Jenine Report 12 Oct 2011 18:47

I phoned today and Ancestry have offered me 10% off for being a member since 2006 s0 £96.66 for the premium membership for a year.

Or I might be better off buying the 2012 Family Tree Maker program from Amazon which comes with 6 months premium membership for about £39.

Only thing stopping me is I need to work out if start a new membership will I have to start my family tree all over again.

And I don't fancy doing that!

What to do.......... :-S