Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SENDING FOR A BIRTH CERTIFICATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Oct 2011 14:00

Hi I have been looking for my grandfathers birth certificate for two years, no joy GRO did a two year search for me but not the right one. I have found today a entry on GRO for William Jeffrey and on the same page is a Male Adams born 1857 in Islington, my information was William Adams Paddington 1857. I am sure this is the correct one as William Adams father was William Jeffrey Adams this being his mothers maiden name. Will this mean that there are two certificates , I could go to GRO but would have to order both or apply to Islington Has anybody got the details for them, I have found it on Google but this says for certificates after 1910 I am so happy and want to send for it quickly Sheila in Spain

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 17 Oct 2011 14:25

Sorry but I am not sure what it is that you have found on Google can you explain that please.

Also it is worth remembering that not all births were registered. Although civil registration of births began in England in 1837 it was not until 1874 that it became compulsory. As a result it is believed that a lot of births went unregistered.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Oct 2011 14:32

Presumably you mean these two entries

Births Mar 1857
ADAMS Male Islington 1b 262
Jeffrey William Islington 1b 262

But what have you found on Google?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Oct 2011 14:41

Oh, I see what you mean now. The Islington Register Office website mentions you can get certs from them for events after 1910.

Why not send them an email and ask where earlier records are held

[email protected]

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 17 Oct 2011 14:54

Would I be correct in guessing that this is the 1871 census for the person whose birth certificate you have been trying to find?

1871:
Name: William Adams
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William Adams
Mother's Name: Sarah Adams
Where born: Paddington, Middlesex, England
Civil parish: Hornsey
Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthias
Town: Highgate
County/Island: Middlesex
Registration district: Edmonton