Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Since removed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 17 Oct 2011 20:29

Hello,
would be glad of any help you could give me.
Iam looking in to a ancestor of mine James Woodhams 1804 and his wife Mary.
In the book Withyham innhabitants 1838,it says since removed to Penhurst their home parish......what does this mean?

hope some one can enlighten me.

Thanks Barry

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Oct 2011 20:38

Just a guess, but maybe it just means they moved back to where they were originally from?

They are in Penshurst on the 1841:

WOODHAMS, James M 35 1806 Kent - Ag Lab
WOODHAMS, Mary F 35 1806
WOODHAMS, James M 13 1828 Kent
WOODHAMS, Sophia F 11 1830 Kent
WOODHAMS, Mathias M 9 1832 Kent
WOODHAMS, John M 7 1834 Kent
WOODHAMS, Henry M 3 1838
WOODHAMS, Susannah F 1 1840 Kent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registration District: Sevenoaks
Civil Parish: Penshurst

Address: Walter's Green Farm, Penshurst County: Kent

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Oct 2011 20:55

it might mean that they were actually sent back to their home parish by a removal order so that they wouldn't be a burden to the parish they were living in at the time.

It seems a little late for that to be the case in this instance though, it happened more frequently in earlier times under the old Poor Laws.

Barry

Barry Report 17 Oct 2011 21:22

Thanks every one.......Barry its Penshurst in Kent

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Oct 2011 21:25

It sounds as though they had perhaps needed to apply to the parish for parish relief (a bit like modern day benefits) and the parish decided that they should be given a removal order which meant that they had to go back to the parish where they were born or where they had lived previously so that the burden fell onto that parish instead.

I found an ancestor of mine in the Wiltshire Removal Orders on Findmypast.

Kath. x

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 17 Oct 2011 23:12

Kathleen I wonder whether we have the same ancestors :-) ... mine were removed from Dorset but yes that was in the 1790s, 1838 does seem a little late

ah there was a new law in 1832

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_Law_Amendment_Act_1834

in case that helps

before that there was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relief_of_the_Poor_Act_1782

''During the 1780s, there was an increase in unemployment and underemployment due to high food prices, low wages and the effects of enclosing land. This caused poor rates to increase rapidly, which wealthy landowners found unacceptable.'

so that explains why people were 'removed' to their home parishes when they became a charge on the parish