Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nazareth House/orphanage records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 19 Oct 2011 12:37

Hello everyone,
I am trying to find information about Nazareth House orphanage or other orphanages for girls in Northampton circa1920-1930. I think/know a relative was in one of the orphanages there but don't know why they were put in, besides the parents being deceased,as they were alive. If anyone has any links to Nazareth house records, other orphanage records from the area or any advice/experiece on how to research this, it would be greatly appreciated.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 Oct 2011 13:02

Hi Kathleen.

I can't help personally, but if no-one comes forward you might try the local family history society:

www.northants-fhs.org

Or this page of the national Archives site might give some pointers:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=154

The most likely explanation for them being put into a home for a while is that the family ran into financial difficulties, or a parent was ill and they just couldn't manage to care for them for a period.

Jan

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 19 Oct 2011 16:28

Thanks

Did manage to contact someone in Northampton Register Office(Archives) but they weren't sure.
But was able to find out who to contact from Nazareth house care home.

TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar Report 19 Oct 2011 19:33

Hiya

Just for info.

There were many Nazereth House homes across England.

Nazareth House wasn't just an orphanage. Two of my relatives were placed in Nazereth House. They were put in the nursery there in the 1940's when their (single) mum was unable to care for them and work at the same time. She paid to keep them there and used to visit but eventually they were both adopted.

Kind regards x

George

George Report 19 Oct 2011 20:07

if you write to the headquaters in London they will assist, I did this and had a lovely letter back from one of their nuns with the info they had on my relative

Nazareth House
Hammersmith Road
London W6 8DB
Tel No- 020 8748 3549

Good Luck

George

TwinkleStar

TwinkleStar Report 26 Oct 2011 03:45

George,

Do you think I would be able to get any info on a relative that was in there prior th their adoption and who was adopted from there? Would her Sister (Who i am now in contact with) who got adopted at the same time but by a different family, be able to get any better info than myself?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Oct 2011 09:21

HI Michelle,

If the person is still alive then that person needs to make application with proof , as they and information on them is covered by DPA.

George

George Report 26 Oct 2011 13:05

Michelle, try giving them a ring and asking them over the phone that question

also try contacting NORCAP a charity which assists families involved in all areas of adoption

http://www.norcap.org.uk/#

RStar

RStar Report 23 Apr 2012 21:49

Ive been trying for 2 yrs now, still no luck. :-( The email address doesnt work and ,my letters are ignored.