Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Posting twice when needs must

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 20 Oct 2011 08:49

Dear all

We keep being told off for posting information twice

I have now posted a follow up for my orignal message which has become a page 2
Nobody has answered. Hardly surprising becasue a helpers would have to read the page 1 first to make sense of it which is time consuming.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1282415?page=1

If I don't get any answers I'm going to have to post new messages :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Oct 2011 08:56

Susanne, I know this can be a problem. There is something you can do though - use a 2nd thread to guide people there - as you have done here in fact! That way nobody gets annoyed. It's when research gets repeated because of 'secret' threads we get a bit huffy.
Jan

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 20 Oct 2011 09:33

Susanne,

Another way that you might draw attention to your original thread is by amending its title slightly by adding something like "Updated 19/10" or even "Follow up".

Incidentally I note that you only added your latest post to your original thread at after 11:00pm (UK time) last night. The most probable reason that you have not yet received any replies is because I would guess that the majority of those able and willing to respond to it have been tucked up in bed for most of the intervening period.

Flick

Flick Report 20 Oct 2011 09:43

If you feel that reading your posts would be time-consuming.........try posting a summary of the info.........

Ask a specific question

But, please don't post duplicates................you'll alienate the helpers - especially those who have already given their valuable time to finding a lot of info for you - and end up worse off

You must consider that the fact that you haven't had answers you want means that no-one is able to provide them.

You have to realise that some info simply CAN'T be found on the internet.................

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 20 Oct 2011 10:25

Ok I think I understand now
so if the pages go to 2 & 3 you want me to write the page url links on the messages

Will give it a try :-D

Flick

Flick Report 20 Oct 2011 15:33

No need to over-complicate things, Susanne............