Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 21 Oct 2011 14:47

Wonder if anyone can give me some ideas! My great grandfather had a son called Alfred Waterworth....he was what is now knows as a loveable roughe! Seemingly he worked at a mine in or around Brierfield in Lancashire and one day he was known to have carried a donkey on his shoulders around the top of the pit as the donkey was knackerd lol....he was given the name by people at the time as "the strong man of brierfield" Do you think that this could be documented anywhere and if so any idea where? Alfred would have been born around 1878
Many thanks Yvonne

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Oct 2011 14:53

You might be best to find a local history society for the area, or contact the relevant main library (Burnley I think??). Have you found him on census reports just as a starting point?
jan

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Oct 2011 16:03

Brierfield is next to Nelson, where there is a good library, or you can try Burnley, where there is a large collection of books/documents etc. about the area and mining. The staff at both are very helpful.

The local family history society is The Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society, Pendle and Burnley Branch. The website is at

http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.uk

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 25 Oct 2011 11:52

Thank you both ever so much for your help. I will contact the family history society and take it from there as I live 200 miles away so getting to the area is a little problem.
Many thanks Yvonne