Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

army reserve

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 21 Oct 2011 15:04

hi is anyone able to answer please
if some one joined the army in 1889 was put on reserve in 1896 and was called up for the 2nd boer war 1899-1902, could he then have been called up again for the 1st world war or would he have been to old he was born 1869
thanks
zena

Potty

Potty Report 21 Oct 2011 15:10

My grandfather was born in 1866; he served in the Army from 1881 to 1891 and was called up in 1914. So yes, somebody born 1869 could well have been called up in WW1. My grandfather did not serve overseas, though.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Oct 2011 15:13

This is from Wiki:

Conscription began during World War I when the British government passed the Military Service Act in 1916. The act specified that single men 18 to 41 years old were liable to be called up for military service unless they were widowed with children or ministers of a religion.

So unlikely to be called up. But I suppose if he were a professional soldier he might have served as he would only be aged about 45 when the war started. Do you know if he left the army before this? He could have volunteered I imagine.

jan

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 21 Oct 2011 15:14

thanks polly i found his name on an absent woters list in 1918 so it could be him will keep digging now
zena <3

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Oct 2011 15:14

Missed this bit!

There was a system of tribunals to adjudicate upon claims for exemption upon the grounds of performing civilian work of national importance, domestic hardship, health, and conscientious objection. The law went through several changes before the war ended.

Married men were exempt until June 1916, and the age limit was eventually raised to 51 years old. Recognition of work of national importance also diminished, and in the last year of the war there was some support for the conscription of clergy

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 21 Oct 2011 15:16

hi again jan
i have his service record fo 1889- 1902 but as i told polly i found his name on the birmingham absent voters for 1918 and wondered if it was him
x zena

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Oct 2011 15:22

Might be! I guess you have searched for him on WW1 records?
Jan

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 21 Oct 2011 15:31

am just about to start
nice of you to help again
thanks very muchly
x zena