Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USA 1900 census look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Oct 2011 10:11

Can any one with access to World Ancestry be willing to do a look up Pennsylvania for me please.?

I cannot find this family.

Harriet H Baker b 1880 Sussex England. She is not living with her father in 1900. But she could be living with her mother or siblings.

Lydia (mother b 1850 Llantarnam, Wales UK,
siblings Sarah b 1870 Llantarnam, Wales UK,
Mary (also known as Polly) b 1874 Llantarnam, Wales Uk.

Thanks i advance,

Regards, Lou

patchem

patchem Report 23 Oct 2011 10:18

Harriet not showing in Pennsylvania, or not obvious. (She could be married?)
Similarly her sisters could be married by then. Do you know when and where any of them married?
Thanks

Added:
Just for reference
1881 Wales Census
Cornelius E. Baker
Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Lydia Baker
Gender: Male Where born: South, (Louth?) Staffordshire, England
Civil parish: Llanvihangel Llantarnam
County/Island: Monmouthshire Country: Wales
Street Address: 3 Star Row Occupation: Engine Fitter
Registration district: Newport Sub-registration district: St Woollos
ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Piece: 5271 Folio: 30 Page Number: 10
Cornelius E. Baker 30
Lydia Baker 31 Llantarnam
Sarah Baker 11 Llantarnam
Auther Baker 9 Llantarnam
Mary A. Baker 7 Llantarnam
Harriett Baker Burgess Hill, Sussex
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 5271; Folio: 30; Page: 10; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342268.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Oct 2011 10:31

Hi patchem,

No sorry. I have their father in 1900 with 2 siblings who were born in Pennsylvania, but no sign of the earlier children or wife. The copy I have of the 1900 census in Allegheny which another kind member sent me is a little unclear as it states their father was M (married) not Widowed, but there is something written next to it which I can't make out.

He was Cornlius Baker b 1850 England, it's Ward 25 Allegheny, Emuneration District 281 sheet 12. He was a Machinest. I only assume they would marry but thought first that it best to eliminate them as spinsters. I can't find a death for their mother either and can't find any passenger records to see if she returned to England for a visit either.

Lou

patchem

patchem Report 23 Oct 2011 10:38

For Cornelius in 1900 the squiggle next to M (married) could just refer to how many years married, as no number is showing there. Could be unknown.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Oct 2011 10:43

Hi Patchem,

That's them in Wales. The strange thing is that by 1900 they would have been married 32 years as they married when he was 17! I wondered if they divorced??

Lou

patchem

patchem Report 23 Oct 2011 10:46

Presumably this is her(and some children) going out:
Lydia Baker
Arrival Date: 2 Dec 1881
Birth Year: abt 1851
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: English
Place of Origin: England
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Arizona

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Oct 2011 10:48

Yes, that's her, he went earlier than her. There was another child Arthur, but I think I have him - he married.

Lou

Gee

Gee Report 23 Oct 2011 10:52

Lou

You now have four threads on this family and this will lead to info being duplicated

If you stick to one thread then we can all see what has already been found

x

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Oct 2011 11:01

Hi Ginny,

Sorry didn't realise I had other threads. I was just re-starting on them as I've not no further on them. I shall look up the other threads now and see if I can delete them

I thought as each thread was slightly different from the other, as in looking for a death / census / passenger look up etc it was ok. But thanks for pointing it out.

Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Oct 2011 11:55

Update;

I did not think my threads were on the same topic although they concerned the same ancestor, but so as not to cause duplication I have deleted 2 of them. They contained requests for the following;

Help finding Death Records in the USA
Immigration Records

The two remaining threads I have active relate to two different people. Therefore they should not cause duplication.

Regards and thanks to all who have offered help. It really has very much been apprecaited.

Lou