Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry info and 'The Hereafter"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 31 Oct 2011 20:49

Morning all,

I am a member of Ancestry, and have been busy building a tree full of great info, certs, census, travel records, stories from newspapers, and photographs etc ....

So, my question is what will happen to all this info on my tree in say 5 or 10 years time .. or is there a way of down loading the tree to a 'stick' or the like ( now I show my lack of knowledge with computors).

I do keep another personnel tree on my computor with all the info, and save all paperwork that goes with the info.

Just wondering :-S :-S
Cheers
Karen of Brisbane :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Oct 2011 21:45

Hi Karen, if you go to your Tree Settings on Ancestry you can download it as a Gedcom file.

You can also download Gedcom viewers for free from various sites (try googling) so that you can view that data.

Gedcom files can also be uploaded to other sites and software.

Karen

Karen Report 31 Oct 2011 22:09

Hi Marie

Tks for that info ..

Cheers
Karen :-) :-)

Kense

Kense Report 31 Oct 2011 22:32

The gedcom files do not hold photos, they are text files, so you have to store non text stuff separately.