Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family tree maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 3 Nov 2011 20:46

I am thinking of buying family tree maker but do not know which one would be best ? There is a platinum edition, deluxe edition and world edition. I have ancestry site already ... I just cannot make up my mind what to buy. Can anyone recommend any they have found good.

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Nov 2011 21:47

The later and/or the dearer the program the more features it will have. Have a look at the different ones on a website like Amazon and decide if you need all the features of the more expensive ones. I have FTM 2008 and find it does everything I need.

Andy

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 3 Nov 2011 22:15

I have Family Tree Builder, which is free, and also does quite a lot.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Nov 2011 22:40

I have FTM 2006 and its OK for me but the later editions I,m told are even better,
When i bought mine I paid more for the deluxe edition and havent used it all . I am thinking of upgrading to the 2011 one with no frills

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Nov 2011 06:54

The terms platinum edition, deluxe edition and world edition relate to the level of Ancestry Subscription that you are getting, NOT to the functionality within the software.

When looking at the software, FTM 2012 is the latest version and has the most functionality. The basic version with 1 months Essentials subscription, which you can use to extend your existing one, costs around £19.95

I will send you a PM which might be helpful.

Marion

Marion Report 5 Nov 2011 17:08

Thanks for all your replies ...

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Nov 2011 22:40

If you shop at Tesco you can use Clubcard points to buy FTM 2012 Platinum for £19.00. When you load it they will extend your Ancestry membership accordingly.

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=1656&bci=4294962131|Software