Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census on CD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 5 Nov 2011 10:12

Hi All
Can any one please tell me where I can buy Census on CD.
Best Regards
Peter

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 5 Nov 2011 11:21

Other than the 1881-are there really any census CDs covering all of the UK?

Maureen

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2011 11:23

They are normally sold for specific areas. You'd probably need a 2nd mortgage and masses of storage if you were to purchase every single one :-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Nov 2011 11:25

I don't advise using a census on cd. The ones I have are just transcribed versions. I always like to look at the originals so much prefer to use the ones on Ancestry. There are so many mistranscriptions, one should always check the originals.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 5 Nov 2011 11:51

Well- now we know whom to ask when it comes to Notts!!!!

The 1881 set was fun to use,though. Not much else was available "back then". I did get a better grasp of what was where and who did what in a general area.
I think I sat on my "East Anglia" disc a few too many times.

Maureen

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Nov 2011 11:55

I have a few, both on CD and in booklet form that I obtained from local FHS's before they appeared on Ancestry. All are transcriptions (often far better than Ancestry....!) Some are indexed by name, others not.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Nov 2011 12:01

I have 1881 UK, 1881 Canada, 1880 US and 1851 Devon, Warwick & Norfolk, all transcribed versions.

Just out of interest, comparing populations between USA and Canada. 1880 US census has 55 cd's, 1881 Canada has 3.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 5 Nov 2011 12:22

I wonder what area and time frame Peter was/is interested in?

Maureen

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Nov 2011 12:41

Oh, is that a sexist remark, Jiminy Cricket?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Nov 2011 13:28

Mine often helps to carry it home, its just that she usually forgets to take her purse with her....!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Nov 2011 14:31

Was going to say the same thing, JC. A woman doesn't "forget" her purse. I feel naked if I go out without mine. Maybe IGP isn't as intelligent as he seems?