Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 SAD NOW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 5 Nov 2011 11:28

SUDDEN SADNESS
I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON A TREE FOR A FRIEND JUST CHECKED WW1 RECORDS
THEY LOST 12
2 IN 1914
1 IN 1915
1 IN 1916
4 IN 1917
4 IN 1918
ALL WITHIN ONE MONTH OF EACH OTHER FOR EACH YEAR

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 5 Nov 2011 12:15

I don't think we can ever imagine what it was like for them, waiting for that dreaded telgram.

I have seen where all the sons have been lost in a family and then others where a son survived the war only to be killed on the last day and as with my gt uncle survived but died from the Flu that engulfed Europe.

Remember them All

wellybobs

wellybobs Report 5 Nov 2011 15:28

Hi,
It is so sad and the really really sad thing is that we don't learn from it. Wasn't it the first world war that was called the war to end all wars, how could we get it so wrong!!

Lets remember all who are no longer with us and also all the boys and girls who are still fighting somewhere in the world.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 5 Nov 2011 16:44

It brings a tear to the eye Dizzi, it really does.

Bless them all. <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2011 19:19

Its not just WW1 which brings a tear to the eye.

One of my more distant relatives was a member of the OSS in WW2, a promising Archaeologist and multi-linguist, with knowledge of 6 languages. He was sent behind the lines to Slovakia in the dieing days, captured and despite (allegedly) being in US uniform, was taken to a Nazi prison camp in Austria and shot as a spy.

I must admit that when the information when first found, left me feeling stunned.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Nov 2011 17:32

The worst I have found is the records of one of my first cousins twice removed. He joined up aged 18, went through the training and was then posted to France. 5 weeks later he was shot in the side and testicles. He was patched up and posted again. A couple of months later he was blown up.

It is dreadful that when his Father acknowledged receipt of his medals he wrote on the reply card "received with Thanks" I so doubt he was thankful that he'd sent his son of to war and received three medals in return but that's how you showed your respect to your "Betters" if you were just working class

zenawarrior

zenawarrior Report 7 Nov 2011 18:23

since tracing my tree i have found 10 members who died in ww1.
although i didnt know these men i feel extreemly proud of their ultimate sacrifice and have compiled a book with their records for the rest of my family so that they will not be forgotten ever again
thoughts and thanks for all armed forces present and past who keep our shores safe
zena <3