Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MBE, New Years Honours

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sgrifennu

sgrifennu Report 6 Nov 2011 16:33

My grandfather, Owen Edwards, recieved an MBE in the 1949 New Years Honours List. He was an official in the Transport & General Workers Union at the time and prior to that in the Quarrymens Union in North Wales. I assume that it was awarded for his contribution in this field. (But that is what I would like to find out)
I've tried the London Gazette whithout much success. Does anyone out there know of any other source for this information?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Nov 2011 16:57

If you know where he might have been living at the time, there might have been an article in the local paper. You could seek out and ask the nearest main library to the place; they may be able to search their newspaper archive for you (and may charge.)

Alternatively, ask the TGWU, and the Quarry union if not the same.

Edit - TGWU is now part of UNISON. No it's not. Its UNITE !!

sgrifennu

sgrifennu Report 6 Nov 2011 17:26

Thank you very much for your reply. I think the local library may be a good place to start.
I have seen the medal and the document presented with it but they give no indication of what it was awarded for.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Nov 2011 18:53

There's an Owen Edwards in the London Gazette of 31 Dec 1948 - no citation but he is described as Owen Edwards Esq, JP, Vice Chairman Anglesey Agricultural Executive Committee. Could this be him?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 7 Nov 2011 21:50

Thanks.

Just sent a pm to her to say I've added to the thread

sgrifennu

sgrifennu Report 7 Nov 2011 22:41

Thanks to all those who have replied to my post.
I have since found out some more information about my grandfathers MBE.
I have seen the Medal and a document that states "By command of Her Majesty the Queen the accompanying Medal is forwarded to 'Owen Edwards MBE' to be worn in commemoration of Her Majesty's coronation 2nd, June 1953."
But I have also seen a document that states "We have thought fit to nominate and appoint you to be an 'Ordinary Member of the Civil Division of Our said most Excelent Order of the British Empire" from George the Sixth and signed By the Sovreigns Command 'Marry R' Grand Master. 1st Jan 1949.
I have not seen reference to either in the 'London Gazette'.
Annielaurie, that could be him in the LG 31st Dec 1948 but I would have to do a bit more research to confirm it.
Lainie39, I will follow up the TGWU lead, thanks.