Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Connaught Rangers Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GinaS

GinaS Report 16 Nov 2011 22:05

In 1870 King House Military Barracks, Boyle, County Roscommon, Ireland was taken over and used as the Headquarters.

It is now a Museum and they house all the records for the Connaught Rangers soldiers from 1793.

Oliver Fallon is the Curator.

The GRO in Roscommon Town house BMD's from 1864 up today also the Army Birth Registers

Joy

Joy Report 16 Nov 2011 22:22

http://www.kinghouse.ie/connaughtrangers.html
Unfortunately the Connaught Rangers Association has been disbanded http://www.connaughtrangersassoc.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

GinaS

GinaS Report 16 Nov 2011 22:25

Hi Joy,

The Museum and records still available up to August of this year.

Joy

Joy Report 16 Nov 2011 22:31

Thanks. I thought that Oliver Fallon said when we had contact a couple of years ago that not all the records were there, but I could be wrong :)
Have just emailed him to ask if that site will be live again, it had been interesting.

GinaS

GinaS Report 16 Nov 2011 22:42

The Connaught Ranger Museum came up in the Genealogy show that was shown a few months ago, and he said they now have all the application forms the soldiers filled in on enlisting, these numbered over 100,000.

Joy

Joy Report 16 Nov 2011 22:46

Ah, that's interesting. Thank you. I wonder if they would be any different from the records in find my past.

GinaS

GinaS Report 16 Nov 2011 23:19

They look to be the same as the one my grandfathers filled in during WW1, eye colour, chest measurement etc.,