Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confused re Ancestry 1911

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2011 15:10

For some reason I thought that Ancestry now had the full 1911 census as opposed to the summary sheets. Am I wrong?

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Nov 2011 15:13

The full census is available for Wales, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. England should be available before the end of the year.

Andy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2011 15:16

Thank you, yes that is why I am confused, I looked up a welsh one. Thanks. I am stopping my subs by mid December so will probably miss that then. Never mind and thanks for responding so quickly.

wisechild

wisechild Report 20 Nov 2011 16:14

It is possible to search it now, but it´s a h*ll of a faff.
You need to find the person you wany in the enumerators books, make a note of the registration district details, then go to the census, put in the info & trawl through until you find the address you´re looking for.
easier to ask for a look up on here, or wait.

Kense

Kense Report 20 Nov 2011 16:18

They do have all the images available. If the surname you are looking for is not too common and you know the town or village it is usually fairly easy to locate the image after finding the likely candidates from searching the summary sheets.

Kense

Kense Report 20 Nov 2011 20:52

Normally when you get the registration district details you note the schedule number, double it and that is the image number to select. If the expected data is not on that image it is usually only a few images away. If it is not then there is something seriously wrong with that district as has happened with Bridlington enumeration district 11.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2011 21:15

Ooh all sounds a bit complicated for this time of night. Quite a common name (Warner). Maybe I will look at these tips tomorrow when I am mot=re awake. Thanks anyway. :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Nov 2011 22:52

The easiest way is to find who you're looking for in the summary books.
Then above the summary page you have...............

County>town>parish>district no

Transfer that info onto the 1911 census.

Then on the Summary page in the first column there is a schedule number, double it and put that number in the image box on the right. It does not always work but you will only be a page or two out either way.

It does work.

Kense

Kense Report 21 Nov 2011 18:56

A problem I had on Saturday using the Beta version of Ancestry's new viewer on their 1911 records was that it seemed to jam up when I put in an image number and pressed Go. I had to revert to the old version. Apart from that the new one was very good.