Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

merchant navy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

vaw

vaw Report 21 Nov 2011 12:47

can anyone please help. i know my dad was in the merchant navy as a engineer. but i have been on over 30 web pages trying to find out some info. but they all say they have no record of him. his name is victor.w.g.rennolds born 1913.i am trying to find out the names of the ships he was on. if anyone can help i will be very grateful.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Nov 2011 12:53

My dad was also a marine engineer, curiously also born 1913. Wouldn't it be nice to find they were shipmates? I found quite a few records of my father arriving New York City in the 30's on passenger lists on Ancestry.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Nov 2011 13:00

There's this one:

New York State, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1917-1973
about Victor Reynolds Name: Victor Reynolds
Birth Date: abt 1913
Arrival Date: 4 May 1933
Port of Arrival: New York
Ship Name: Athenia
Search Ship Database: View the Athenia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Looking at original it seems his ship was the Musa. It has dates for him as follows:

5/4/33
5/18/33
6/1/33
6/16/33
7/13/33
7/27/33

Not sure if it's him because of different spelling of surname. His age was 20 until last one wher he's 21. Did he have a birthday between 13 July-27 July?

vaw

vaw Report 21 Nov 2011 13:05

no birthday 3rd may 1913. i know of him being in russian water and spendind time in canada, but not america. i also know he was very funny if people spelt his name wrong, thanks for helping me :-) :-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Nov 2011 13:14

No luck at all I'm afraid. There are many records for that Victor Reynolds arriving New York City but he's not yours. I was lucky in that my dad's home port was New York City even though he was born England.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Nov 2011 13:20

Try

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/merchantseamanafter1917.htm?WT.lp=rg-3193

and

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/merchant-navy-seamen

Roy

Frederick

Frederick Report 21 Nov 2011 20:32

Hi V. Try this, there's Seamen past and present from all over the world who would have the info you require, I'm on there myself, plenty of memories, especially 40s,50s,60s. Regards Fred.

www.merchant-navy.net/forum

you just have to register to get all the info you want. F.