Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm confused please advise

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Nov 2011 16:23

Okay this is about the sister in law, brother in law thing.

I have found on one of my censuses someone listed as sister in law to the head of the house hold but with the surnames being different.

Were the brother's and sister's of in laws also regarded in the same?

Eg J. Ellis's sister in law in A Hosier (the only Hosier's I have are married to brother's of J Ellis) so does that mean that the sister in law's sister is also regarded as a sister in law?

Hope I haven't confused you all too much?

Gypsyjoe

Penny

Penny Report 24 Nov 2011 16:57

Not sure, my sister in laws sister isnt related to me. If she was here on census night, I think i'd call her a visitor

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Nov 2011 17:03

This is in 1871 and from all the searching I've done this so called sister in law doesn't appear to link to my Hosier's unless she is an Aunt.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 Nov 2011 17:04

Is she married or single?
Jan

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 24 Nov 2011 17:36

Would it be possible to give the full names, perhaps we can take a look at the census!

Lynne

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Nov 2011 17:57

On the 1871 Census

James Ellis is living with his wife Louisa and four Children at 179 Grunndy St Poplar.

Ann Hoiser (should be Hosier) is listed as sister in Law age 49 from Berks Reading. Widow. Berkshie also doesn't match up with my Hosier's.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 Nov 2011 18:05

1871 England Census - she is married

Name: Ann Horser
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822
Relation: Sister-in-Law
Where born: Reading, Berkshire, England
Civil parish: Bromley St Leonard
Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael
County/Island: London
Registration district: Poplar
Sub-registration district: Bow

Matilda J Ellis 14
Louisia Ellis 12
Ann C Ellis 2
Edward L Ellis 1 Month
Ann Horser 49

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 24 Nov 2011 18:11

Hey Brummiejan

That's the same family though looking at the original image it has Hoiser for the surname.

My problem lies with how she is a sister in law, James's wifes maiden name was Loscombe.

I've finnished work and with no internet aat home I'll have to check in tomorrow now.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 24 Nov 2011 18:38

Joe,
maybe they have put sister in law out of politeness as her occupation in the family is NURSE.

More than likely there to look after Mum,new baby and 2 yr old.

Sue

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Nov 2011 22:35

Could sister-in-law be the other meaning i.e. stepsister? Did either of James parents remarry making her a stepsister?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Nov 2011 06:56

Margee has the most likely explanation.

In general:-

Census Return Terms

In-Law

In the censuses the term 'in-law' meant 'related by marriage' as it does today, however the key difference is that in the 19th century it was also applied to children which is not the case now. A son whose mother re-marries would today be called a 'step-son', however he may be recorded on the census as 'son-in-law'.

Brother/Sister

To add further confusion to the above, often when the term 'in-law' would have been applicable today, it was not used. Hence a wife whose true relationship to the Head should be 'sister-in-law' may only be written as sister, next to her husband. So watch out for random sisters you've never heard of before, who suddenly crop up! (It is easier to spot the reverse of this because the mysterious new 'brother' will carry a different surname!)

Niece/Nephew

In a similar vain, when a young man or unmarried girl appears on a census as a 'nephew' or 'niece' to the Head, but has a different surname, then this can give you the married name of the Head's sister, or a sister of his wife.

Not only that, but the more archaic usage of the word 'niece' simply meant a female who wasn't in the immediate family group.

Cousin

At the time of the censuses, 'cousin', like the archaic term 'niece' simply meant any relative who wasn't a sibling.

Penny

Penny Report 25 Nov 2011 07:14

so, Is it the Ellis family that are yours, with an unknown extra ( in Ann)
or
Ann That you think is yours, living with a family of unknown Ellis?

If it is the 2nd, how do you know ##Ann Hoiser (should be Hosier)##

She could well be a Hoiser,Not a Hosier at all

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 25 Nov 2011 10:14

My great grandfather had his step-son listed as son-in-law. Confused me no end for awhile until I realised who he was.

Sue

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 25 Nov 2011 11:03

Thank you all.

Ellis are one of my families. It's all rather confusing really.

Two of James's brothers married sisters with the surname Hosier.

John maried Mary Anne Hosier and he was still alive and with his wife in 1871.

Alfred married Louisa Hosier - they were both togeth on the 1871 census.

Louisa had another sister Sarah whom married a Leagas.

I've searched back and found that their ( Mary Ann and Louisa) mother's name was Ann and the age matches though not the place of birth.

Neither of James's parent's split and remarried.

So I wonder if it should be mother in law - though she would be the mother in law to his brothers.