Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

newspapers on line

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 25 Nov 2011 18:02

hello i saw on fb that there is to be anew site on line for reserching old newapapers owned by bright solid starting starting soon

sally w

Janet

Janet Report 25 Nov 2011 20:02

This?

More than one million pages of British historical newspapers are to be published online...

Launching in Autumn 2011, the British Newspaper Archive will make millions of pages of historical newspapers available online for the first time – unlocking a treasure trove of material for historians, researchers, genealogists, students and anyone interested in when, where and how our ancestors lived and key periods of historical interest.

The project is a partnership between the British Library and brightsolid online publishing, and aims to digitise up to 40 million pages from the UK national newspaper collection over the next ten years.

Highlights will include:

Contemporary reporting of major events – vivid first-hand detail and reaction to key events including the Crimean War, the Irish famine, the Great Exhibition and the Boer War
Family notices – a wealth of detail from sources such as births, deaths and marriages, obituaries and related announcements
Local and regional press – supplementing national titles already available online, the Archive will feature a wide range of local and regional titles over many decades
Fully searchable online by date, title and keywords – transforming access to material previously only available in the British Library Reading Rooms as print or microfilm

More than 1 million pages of pre-1900 newspapers will be available at launch, building to 4 million digitised pages over the next 2 years.

Sally

Sally Report 25 Nov 2011 20:08

thanks janst

you have put it much better than i could

sally w :-D

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 25 Nov 2011 22:48

You may be able to access pre 1900 newspapers (The Gale Collection) via your library. They certainly offer a free subscription to educational establishment.

More info here

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/digitisation/bln.aspx

I would think that if Brightsolid are involved in this new project it will be either pay to view or subscription based.

Gai

Gai Report 26 Nov 2011 00:01

Joan

I used Jonesy tip about newspapers online and joined one of the libraries in the Uk over the internet. I'm in Australia and it costs nothing to join.

All the articles I have found are pre 1900.

I'll find Jonesy's thread and nudge it up.

Gai

Just found the thread and looks like people outside the Uk are having trouble joining.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Nov 2011 10:40

I believe that people outside the UK are still able to join and gain access to the 19th century newspaper archive via Lancashire libraries.

Go to:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1232629

and follow the tip (Shown below) posted by Moonbean on page 7

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/web/?Libraries/37276 - click on Log in at top right of page, then click Registration Page then I want to Register now. It should bring you to a page where you can register without giving your address, just e-mail address, user name and password. This is for On-Line services only.

Kense

Kense Report 29 Nov 2011 07:12

It's on the news now so I expect the site will soon be overloaded.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15932683

http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 29 Nov 2011 07:33

Just been having a look around the new site:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Interesting!

Edit: It is owned by Bright Solid - same as this site.

Kense

Kense Report 29 Nov 2011 07:40

£79.95 for a year's unlimited subscription, £6.95 for two days but a limited number of credits.

Joy

Joy Report 29 Nov 2011 09:02

As said, pay to view; but it is free to search.
I shall continue using my library card for now looking at newspapers.

From an email received today from The British Newspaper Archives:

To:
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:11 AM
Subject: The British Newspaper Archive Launches Today!

Issue 1, 29 November 2011

Launch of the British Newspaper Archive

Today is the launch day for the British Newspaper Archive - www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk - and there‘s lots going on to celebrate this special event! Many thanks to all of you that offered constructive feedback during our short beta trial. Where possible we have incorporated your suggestions, fixed the issues, and others put on the list to do as soon after launch as we can.

Live Digitising of Historical Newspapers on the BBC1 Breakfast Show
From 6am this morning, the BBC1 Breakfast Show will be broadcasting from the British Newspaper Library at Colindale. So if you tune in to this programme you‘ll be able to see the scanning team hard at work, making digital copies of historical newspapers for the website.

'Old-Fashioned News Vendors Gather to Wow Commuters at Kings Cross Station! Read All About It! Extra!'
Or if you‘re passing close to Kings Cross Station in London today, then you might like to pop in and visit the old newspaper stand that we‘ve set up. As well as reading some of the old newspapers on the stand, you can meet the old-fashioned news vendors as they shout their (alas, almost-forgotten) cries of ’Extra! Extra!‘ and ’Read all about it!‘ The retro newspaper vendors will be performing in the morning, at lunchtime and during the afternoon rush hour.

Join in the Launch on Facebook and Twitter
But don‘t worry if can‘t watch us on the telly or visit us at Kings Cross, as we‘re also publishing loads of interesting content on the web today. We‘re adding videos to our Youtube channel (including a film of the stand at Kings Cross), posting content on our Facebook page and tweeting about the launch on our Twitter page.

We also have a jazzy infographic for the launch on our Blog. This graphic offers a quick guide to the newspaper archive project in a very entertaining manner. So it‘d be great if you could join in the fun today, and let us know your thoughts on the launch and the new website. Please tweet us at @BNArchive, using the #oldnews hashtag.

Visit the Website and Discover Millions of Amazing Stories
The British Newspaper Archive is free to search, so why not visit the website and discover some of the wonderful stories that this digital Sheherazade is waiting to tell the world...

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

All the Best,
The British Newspaper Archive Team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The digitisation of the British Newspaper Archive is a partnership project between the British Library and brightsolid.

This email has been sent by brightsolid online publishing limited. Registered in England, company no: 4369607. Registered office: 185 Fleet Street, London, EH4A 2HS, UK.