Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 PHOTOS,YOU MAY SEE SOMEONE THERE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 27 Nov 2011 09:40

http://www.ww1photos.com/FirstWorldWarSoldiers.html

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 27 Nov 2011 13:34

Thanks for that Dizzi - I had a look, its very interesting.
K

Linda G

Linda G Report 27 Nov 2011 17:24

Just watched this with the music, very touching. I wonder just many of those men survived the war.

Makes you think

Thanks for putting up the link

Linda

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 27 Nov 2011 20:27

i want t add my thanks for these pictures.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 28 Nov 2011 10:17

I think I can answer your question Linda. Approx 5 million men from UK enlisted during WW1. There were 887,000 military deaths, so 17.74% (about 1 in 6), of those who enlisted died. It is therefore reasonable to assume that 1 in 6 of the men in these photos lost their lives. Bless them all and also over one and a half million who were wounded.

My grandfather was amongst the dead, he lies in a cemetery in Belgium, I visit his grave every year.

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 5 Dec 2011 23:32

Thanks Dizzi, as I looked at the photographs I wondered what the world would be like now if they had all survived.