Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 - can someone check image pls?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2011 11:25

I am trying to make out what is written in the nationality column for my grandmother and her parents in 1911, below 'English'.

This is from Ancestry - easy to find with that mis-spelling!! Many thanks.

Name: Elmney Eccleston
Age in 1911: 15
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil parish: Aston
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street Address: 24 Court 5 House Charles Henry St B'ham
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Aston
Registration District Number: 385
Sub-registration district: Deritend

George Eccleston 56
Ann Eccleston 55
Elmney Eccleston 15

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 9 Dec 2011 11:31

On the case Jan, back shortly.

"British Sub Personage"

Whatever that means???

Quite interesting and cheap now to be able to view the originals on Ancestry. I have just looked up my great grandfather and note that he had written his actual birth date 25th August 1845 on the census form.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2011 11:43

Hi Jonesey.

Thanks very much for looking - that's what I was seeing but as it doesn't make much sense I thought someone else might come up with another version. Might have to remain a mystery then.

Hope it doesn't mean sub-human!!

Yes, it's great to see Ancestry have some of my ancestors on 1911 at last. Not sure everywhere is complete yet though as I can't see all of them.

Lucky you having that birth date.. I have once seen an entry with the addresses where everyone was born - not my family sadly!

Regards
Jan

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 9 Dec 2011 11:47

Perhaps they meant to say parentage ?

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 9 Dec 2011 11:49

Jan,

Only 20 English counties so far completed on Ancestry with the others to follow.

I already knew the birth date from an entry in the family bible but it was nice to get confirmation.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2011 12:05

You may be right Lindsey - after spelling Emily as Elmney anything is possible.
Thanks for looking.
Jan

Kense

Kense Report 9 Dec 2011 13:10

I think Lindsey is probably right. I am sure the sub. is an abbreviation of subject. Maybe there is something in the blanked out column which will be visible next month.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 Dec 2011 13:27

I agree with Lindsey, I think what they mean is "British Subject by Parentage". It's been written in the column for the nationality of persons born in foreign countries, and BSBP is one of the options.

I honestly think they've just got themselves a bit confused, especially as they do all appear to have been born in Birmingham. Maybe George was just trying to state that his family's parents were British? I'm guessing as a bricklayer's labourer he may not have been too used to filling forms in.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Dec 2011 13:45

Thanks folks. It does seem the most likely explanation - they were all 100% Brummie, just got carried away filling in the form i imagine!
Cheer.
jan