Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname changed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 23 Dec 2011 21:49

Hi

After many years of following my Pritchard line I have found that one of them was a Hunt at Birth.
I shall explain;

My 3x great grandmother Sarah Frill married Samuel Hunt in 1849 Newcastle upon Tyne.

Samuel Hunt Died in Dec qtr 1853 Gateshead.Co.Durham.

Sarah married again to David Pritchard ( my 3xgtgrandfather) in 1857 Newcastle upon Tyne.
There was the following Children.

Samuel Hunt 1851 Stockton on Tees. (I believe Samuel Snr Son)

Elizabeth pritchard 1854 Trudhoe Co.Durham.
Thomas 1858. Mary 1863 .Dorothy 1866..Sarah J 1869.(my 2xgt grandmother).

I have found all siblings marriages no problem, except Elizabeths till this past week.

I found that Elizabeth got married to Patrick Haughey in 1903 at the time of marriage she was known as Thomas.

I found she had married a John Thomas in 1890 her Surname at this time Was Davies

I found she married a Tom Davies Sep qtr 1881..her maiden name was HUNT at the time of marriage.

Trouble is she has carried her stepfather David pritchard surname till she married.

I only Just made the connection that Elizabeth was a Hunt was I could`nt find a marriage in pritchard and tees valley confirmed her father was samuel Hunt.

What do I do here..On my tree do I keep her Surname as Pritchard (as known on censuses too) or do I put her true Birth Surname Hunt.

Thank you for reading..hope I have explained ok.
Linda.

:-) :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2011 21:55

I would put her with the her parents ie the child of Samuel and Sarah but make a note that she was known as Pritchard her stepfathers surname

Linda

Linda Report 23 Dec 2011 21:57

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Thank you for your help!
Linda.

Alan

Alan Report 24 Dec 2011 07:51

Family Trees should be as accurate and truthful as we can make them "warts n all"

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Dec 2011 08:22

Yes, put down what you know - this sort of situation is actually quite common and we have several similar examples in our research.

As the GR tree software is only very basic you will have to use the notes to cover the situation, however if you use commercial tree software such as FTM then you can add as many alternative names and relationships as you wish.

Linda

Linda Report 25 Dec 2011 02:20

yes I have FTM so a lot of personal information goes onto that tree.

For putting the name change on GR I was`nt sure how to put it.

I have followed Shirley`s advice as it is very simple and I know that it is all correct!

Thanks for your help!
Linda :-)