Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OllietheOwl

OllietheOwl Report 28 Dec 2011 19:49

I use the above connected to Ancestry and am experiencing very slow connection and it often throws me out. I use a wireless connection to the internet. Has anyone else suffered this and any advice how I can resolve this very frustrating problem. Laptop about to be thrown across the room !!!

thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2011 19:29

Not sure what you mean as Ancestry is connected to FTM although you dont have to upload your tree to Ancestry.

I have FTM and decline the offer to upload when my tree gets to certain lavels.

You should be able to open FTM and work on it regardles of Ancestry. Are you opening both ? maybe that thats the problem ??

Kense

Kense Report 29 Dec 2011 19:58

Shirley, I presume Ollie has the 2012 edition. In that version you can sync your local tree to the Ancestry one so they both get updated with the same information.

I have that version and haven'f found it to be unacceptably slow.

Ken

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2011 20:09

Thanks Ken i have the 2006 version but OH has bought me the 2012 update version that I am trying to get up courage to put on the PC , Am worried I might lose my tree that took me months to compile :-(

Kense

Kense Report 29 Dec 2011 21:12

There shouldn't be any problem Shirley, but you can always make a backup copy before you start to install the new FTM.

OllietheOwl

OllietheOwl Report 30 Dec 2011 00:08

Yes it is the 2012 version. Must be my computer causing the problem. I have tried to sync the trees but it has come up with an error on quite a few occasions. I will contact FTM to see what they can do to help. Thanks for your imput.

Countrymouse

Countrymouse Report 30 Dec 2011 11:35

Hi Ollie
Sometimes my tree starts to sync with the online tree and stops. When I go back online,(as I have to come out of my tree and go back again) it carries on sync-ing.
I think as 2012 is the new one it may have glytches. Althoguh I think synchronising is good in theory I am starting to think it may be a pest and I would be better off keeping a basic tree online and just backing up on a memory stick.

OllietheOwl

OllietheOwl Report 30 Dec 2011 19:45

Hi Countrymouse.

I must admit that I have been thinking the same thing and am not going to bother if the sync doesn't work which is most of the time. I did email FTM 2 days ago but as yet have not had a reply.