Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ordering copies of certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 30 Dec 2011 09:34

Hi, first time posting, so here goes. I have researched online my father and think I have up to great-grandad. Now I want to get copies of certificates to try and back up what I have found.
Where do I go from here? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies if I should of read this elsewhere.

Janet

Janet Report 30 Dec 2011 09:57

Hello Christopher- welcome to the boards.

Presume you are wanting the certificates from England. If you google GRO it will take you to www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ - and just follow the instructions. -jl

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Dec 2011 10:03

Do you have rough idea of areas and dates?
Maybe you can find them on the index.

Many births, marriages and deaths up to about 1950 are on a free site

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Some later ones there too.

If you want help deciding which are yours,especially if they have common names, just post a message on Find Ancestors board and people will help you.

Gwyn

patchem

patchem Report 30 Dec 2011 10:22

It is best to purchase the certificates as you work back, as it stops you following the completely wrong family that may have looked absolutely correct on the census, but is totally wrong.
So, start with your parents' marriage certificate if you do not already have it. (No, I am not joking, get everything).

Gee

Gee Report 30 Dec 2011 10:34

Hi Christopher

There are lots of parish records online (if you have access) so it might be worth checking that before you buy a certificate

Depends which part of the country you are researching but London/W Yorks/Liverpool have lots and there are other areas too

If you dont have the right sub to view these you can post the details on here and people can send you a copy of the church entry, saving you a certificate....

Christopher

Christopher Report 1 Jan 2012 09:23

Thanks for all your help. Nice to know that I am going in the right direction and where to go for the next step.
I am thankful there are nice, helpful people such as yourselves waiting in the wings for when I get stuck.
Thanks again and best wishes for the new year.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 1 Jan 2012 13:24

Just make sure that any details you put are EXACTLY as you find on Freebmd.

I had a relative christened Lucy Jane...but when she married her names were the other way around. I didn't check beforehand and so ended up having a "reject" which cost me £3!!

Happy New Year Everyone

Jude