Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Montgomery parish records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 4 Jan 2012 20:17

Can anyone tell me if there is an online parish record site for Montgomery please? I know Monmoutshire has one but was wondering if there is one for Montgomery too.

Thanks in advance, Lou

Lynski

Lynski Report 4 Jan 2012 20:56

Using Google just found this site??

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=40&coll_id=12088&expand=

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 4 Jan 2012 21:20

Hi Lynski,

Thanks, I already tried that site without any luck, but thanks anyway, your help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Lou

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Jan 2012 23:46

Maybe you know already, but just to advise that Montg is one of the 6 old counties with local indexes at least partly on-line:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/index.php

In the case of Montg, for B's and D's, you'll learn which subdistrict an event was rego'ed in.
E.g., the GRO index has:

Deaths Mar 1840 (>99%)
Parry Esther Llanfyllin 27 56

The local index has:

North Wales Death indexes for the years: 1840
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
PARRY Esther - Llansanffraid ym Mechain Powys - Llandrindod Wells FFRAID/01/38

so we know the event was rego'ed in Llansanffraid ym Mechain, rather than Llanfair, or Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant (the other sub-district offices in Llanfyllin RD).

In the case of marrs, it will say which (CofW) church. E.g.:

North Wales Marriage indexes for the years: 1840
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
EVANS John Match Possible Spouses Trefeglwys, St Michael Powys - Llandrindod Wells CL04/1/23

Clicking on the "Match Possible Spouse" link gets
BEBB Ann CL04/1/23
BENNETT Benjamin CL04/1/23
BRUNT Mary CL04/1/23

Most local indexes index by entry #, not page #, but Montg has page #, so not that different from FreeBMD.
However, after 1837, it's pretty much a 50-50 chance that the quarter begins with an even entry #, in which case the GRO page boundaries are mis-aligned with the local page boundaries (misalignment happens here).
Here's the GRO index page for John Evans:

Marriages Sep 1840 (>99%)
Brunt Mary Newtown &c. 27 137
Evans John Newtown &c. 27 137
LUMLEY Elizabeth Newtown &c. 27 137
OWEN John Newtown 27 137

The other couple, Ben and Ann, actually wed in 1840q4:

Marriages Dec 1840 (>99%)
BEBB Ann Newtown 27 189
BENNETT Benjamin Newtown &c 27 189
EVANS Hannah Newtown &c. 27 189
HAMER David Newtown &c. 27 189

Betty

Betty Report 5 Jan 2012 12:11

Have you tried Family Search IGI heres the batch number site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyMontgomery.htm

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 5 Jan 2012 15:09

Hi mgnv

Thanks so much for the very useful piece of info. I'ts been very helpful, and explains things. Thanks a lot.

Hi Betty

Thanks for the tip, I have tried the normal family search site but will take at the one you suggest.

Thanks again to you both.

Regards and good luck yourselves in your own research.

Lou