Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suffolk Jews

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 5 Jan 2012 13:10

Was there a community of Jews in Suffolk, particularly around the Hoxne Deanery in the 1800's
I ask because from 2 separate contacts there is anecdotal reports of my Harvey family being Jewish.
The family of Ephriam Harvey is said to be Jewish, because they 'Looked' Jewish and also that an older family member remebers a picture of him and his son Edwin wearing skull caps. and having long beards. There is also anecdotal reports of them being 'cast out' because Edwin married two of his neices ( not at the same time)

To me this is not enough to define them as Jewish. Men with long beards also wore smoking caps, and though there are swarthy skinned/dark haired people in my family, incuding myself, I do not think this is valid evidence either.
I do not think that there is a Jewish connection, but I would like to be able to definatley rule it out with evidence.
:-S

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Jan 2012 13:35

When was your Ephraim born? There's this one in Suffolk, a Christian baptism:

HARVEY, Ephraim Christening
Birthplace: Wilby
Christening Date: 16 May 1847 Recorded in: Suffolk, England
Collection: BTs
Father: James HARVEY
Mother: Susan
Source: FHL Film 918664 Dates: 1847 - 1847

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jan 2012 13:45

If you google 'jewish community Suffolk 1800s' there are several references which might be worth looking at?

http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D3701F37-CAEC-4392-949A-92B3840DF076/0/2011090628JEWISHANCESTRYBW.pdf

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 5 Jan 2012 14:00

Thanks for replying. yes Margee that is the one, and yes I knew it was a christina baptism. I should have put those details in.
Thanks also to RamblingRose, I certainly will look at that.
As I said in my enquiry I do not think there is aJ ewish connection,
But as I read somewhere recently the definition of research is 'going up alleys to see if they are blind' it certainly applies to genealogy.

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 5 Jan 2012 14:14

I've just printed and read the information from that link, RamblingRose.
What an excellent and concise piece of information.
Thanks again.